Chapter Twenty-Three

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Daniel may not have looked intimidating on his own, but the evil in his eyes made it evident he was no longer in control. He grinned at the deities, but his eyes remained dead. "Ra," he said. "Welcome! So good of you all to join me."

     "Did he incarnate?" Dean asked in confusion.

     "No," Zane replied. "He found a vessel to inhabit. He is not yet strong enough to fully manifest in our world."

     "You are correct, old foe," Apep said pleasantly. "Yet I have managed to do so much already. Chaos is running rampant. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside."

     "There is no way you would ever say those words," Adara said. "Clearly living inside of the stoned kid is getting to you."

     "Perhaps you're right, lioness." He hissed at her. Adara hissed back.

     "Sekhmet, stand down," Zane said firmly.

     "He started it," she mumbled.

     "None of you can stop me. I have killed many tonight. Several of your most beloved Gods have fallen to my chaos," Apep bragged. "The battle is over. Accept your fates and you can end this with some dignity."

     "Never!" Jonathan declared. "We'll not surrender to the likes of you!"

     "My dear boy, I assure you, the South will never rise again." He transformed into the form of a snake and lunged at Jonathan. "And neither shall you!"

     Josie leapt in front of Jonathan before anyone could stop her. She closed her eyes and was suddenly surrounded by hundreds of frogs. The army of frogs descended upon Apep in a frenzy and Josie pulled Jonathan into her arms.

     "You don't get to die on me this time, Soldier Boy," she told him.

     "Miss Josie, I wouldn't dream of it," Jonathan replied.

     Apep hissed and shrieked as the frogs attacked him. He swatted them away as quickly as they came but was clearly distracted and annoyed. During all of this confusion, another person joined the Gods.

     Tommy stood about six feet away from Apep. Alyxx watched in horror as Apep turned to face her brother and pounced on him. "No!" She screamed. Neith took control and a weapon manifested in her hands seemingly out of thin air. She ran toward the snake and reached him just as his fangs pierced Tommy's flesh.

     Neith tried to decapitate Apep but he seemed impervious to the attack. She settled for plunging the sword into his chest. As his blood fell on the ground, a giant hole opened up. Confused, everyone remained motionless until Tommy fell into the hole.

     Neith attempted to dive in after him but Mark grabbed her. "You can't follow," he said. "Please, Alyxx. Come back to me."

     "Unhand me! She cannot return," Neith said. "That is her baby brother. First his daughter died, now he has followed. She can't return from this."

     Mark looked like he might begin to cry. Instead, he stared deeply into her eyes. "Alyxx," he said. "Listen to me. You can do this. You can survive this. We will get him back."

     "He is dead, Con Man!" Neith declared. "Do not lie to her now. She is not so foolish as to believe your words."

     "I will never lie to her. Ever. She is the one person I'll always be honest with. Please believe me. I know hope isn't lost yet."

     Apep recovered from his shock. The frogs had fallen into the pit and Josie collapsed in Jonathan's arms. She was weak from using so much of her magic. Apep laughed. "Is this the best you can do? Some frogs and a big hole in the ground?"

     "Not at all," Shannon replied. She smiled at him wickedly. Placing her hand over the hole, Shannon drew energy out from within. A moment later, a tiny scarab beetle crawled out. It was completely golden in color and its glow lit up the entire room. The scarab began to grow until it took the form of the last thing anyone expected.

     Suddenly, Alyxx was back. She was the first to speak. "How?" She asked.

     "The Golden Scarab can never die, for there is only eternal life," Shannon replied. "Hello, dear. It is good to finally meet you."

     The red hair she had been born with had vanished and was now a glowing golden blonde, but other than that, little had changed. "Who are you?" Apep asked in confusion.

     "I am the prophecy you tried to prevent," she replied, "but most people just call me Angie."