Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

Night had fallen and they were no closer to an answer. After Jonathan began falling asleep on Zane's couch, Marie examined his energy and found his very life force seemed to be being pulled from his body. She recommended he get some more rest and he retired to his designated room.

     After about another hour, Panya had passed out in her chair. Gently, Dean picked her up and carried her to her room. He'd wrapped the blanket over her carefully and then returned downstairs.

     It had been four more hours. Everyone who wasn't living in the house had left. Alyxx was in her room and wide awake. She couldn't imagine ever sleeping again, not with all of the thoughts going through her mind.

     She began humming Mister Sandman to herself, hoping the sandman would show up and put her to sleep sometime soon. She hated being unable to rest with how exhausted she felt. A million and one thoughts raced through her mind. She suddenly realized she could hear pacing.

     Alyxx opened her door and saw Jonathan's door ajar. He was pacing around the room and muttering to himself. "Can't sleep either, eh?" She asked him.

     "I'm afraid not," he admitted.

     "Come on back to my room. We can listen to some groovy tunes and kill some time until our bodies decide to let us get some rest."

     "I shouldn't be in your room alone with you. It's inappropriate."

     "I'm all about inappropriate. Besides, I'm not asking you to do anything wrong. I just figured we could keep each other company."

     "I suppose that would be fine."

     "Good." She led him into her room and put on a record. She'd seen a record player and some great old albums in a thrift store Mark had taken her to and fallen in love with it all. He'd bought them for her before she even realized he had walked to the cash register.

     "What is that?" Jonathan asked.

     "The Beatles."

     "Wait... Bugs can sing now?"

     Alyxx burst out laughing. "No, Jonathan. They're a band. They're absolutely brilliant. Don't you just want to dance?" She pulled him to the center of her room and started moving his hands up and down as she danced around.

     Although he felt silly, Alyxx's enthusiasm was infectious, and soon, Jonathan was doing his best to dance to the unusual music. Their noise must have woken Panya because she quietly slipped into the room and watched them. When Alyxx noticed her, she took her hands and began moving her around and trying to show her how to dance.

     Eventually Panya giggled, much to Alyxx's delight. "This is all so... so..." Panya searched for the word.

     "Ridiculous?" Jonathan suggested.

     "Fun?" Alyxx asked.

     "Freeing," Panya decided. "I have never felt so free of trouble."

     "Dancing is the best high in the world," Alyxx replied.

     She began singing along as she danced. Panya and Jonathan did their best to mimic her movements, but neither knew how to dance to such sounds. Panya focused on the rhythm and tried to use the drum beats to guide her. Jonathan focused more on the melody and danced around as though to a strange waltz.

     Soon, Zane and Olivia appeared in the doorway. They looked exhausted but they smiled at each other as they watched the others. Then Zane took Olivia's hand and they started dancing along.