Chapter Twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY

Zane turned around in shock as Greg and Nina's bodies fell to the floor. "Impossible," he whispered. "This can't be."

     "I'm sorry, Zane," Lily replied sadly. "I had to."

     "Why? Why would you turn on us?"

     "I had no choice. He is my husband, my consort, my love. I have to do as he desires."

     "Lily, you have a mind of your own! You always have."

     "Do not call me by my mortal name. Lily doesn't live here anymore. She hasn't in a very long time, since the snake first appeared to me. He took me home and made love to me and from that moment, I knew I had to help him."

     "Tawaret, he's manipulating you. Please, don't let him win. You would never do this of your own free will."

     "You're mistaken, Ra. Who do you think thought of the plot to kill you? Who do you think turned the pantheons against each other? Who would ever suspect that I, the tamed hippo Goddess, would ever speak ill of my beloved Ra unless the words were true?"

     He stared at her in shock. "You couldn't have. You wouldn't."

     "I did. It wasn't Apep's idea, you know. It was mine. I thought it would create just enough chaos to free him, but certain entities stuck their noses in where they didn't belong and tried to make the other Gods see reason."

     "You're a good soul," Jonathan said. "You're being tricked."

     "No, Khnum. My eyes have been opened for me. There's a difference. You see, I had to submit to the will of Ra to survive. If he ever suspected my loyalty to my consort, he would have had to destroy me. Instead, I convinced him I was tame. It's wonderful, isn't it? The hippo Goddess convinced the head of her pantheon she was tame! Hippos can't be tamed. We are, by our very nature, vicious."

     "We trusted you!" Panya shouted.

     Tawaret stared at her, startled by the sudden outburst. "Of course you did. I wanted you to."

     "You will not succeed with this treason."

     "Who's going to stop me, Ta-Bitjet? You? Please, little girl. You aren't even the main Scorpion Goddess in the pantheon. I do not fear you."

     "You should," Alison said, appearing suddenly. "She's much stronger than I ever gave her credit for. I sort of have a jealousy problem. The thing is, I know what Ta-Bitjet can do. I also know what happens if you somehow manage to piss her off, which is nearly impossible, yet you did it. I'm impressed."

     "Serqet!" Tawaret said cheerfully. "I'm delighted to see you have joined us. You see, I'm going to assassinate Ra, and then the rest of you. I'm sure you'll enjoy the festivities. I'll kill you last if you want to watch."

     Alison came closer to them. She nodded. "You're working with your consort. Of course. I should have known."

     "Yes, and when everyone falls, I will be standing by his side as he plunges the world into complete chaos once more. It's going to be wonderful!"

     "What will he do to his followers?"

     "Most will die, but those who prove themselves valuable may be kept as pets. After all, it's no fun to send the world into chaos if there's no one there to witness it."

     Alison smiled devilishly. "I want to help."

     Tawaret froze. She studied Alison closely. "Is that true? Do you really want to help him?"