C h a p t e r O n e

・。.・゜✭・.・✭・゜・。.

・✭・゜・。

・。.・゜✭・.・✭・゜・。.

Enid

It's been about two weeks since i've been on the road with Sophia. I was weary about letting anyone in again, but she's strong, and I don't think that I could've done it on my own for much longer. I'm glad to not be alone anymore.

We're currently walking through the cool spring air. We don't know where we're going, but we have the mutual understanding that we keep going.

"Enid, look!" Sophia suddenly gasps, pointing ahead. I follow her gaze and see a sign for a neighborhood. But not just a neighborhood- a self sustaining neighborhood, meaning that there's a good chance that there's a camp there. I smile back at her and we continue walking, now having an extra pep in our step.

We make it there after about a half hour of walking. There was huge metal gates surrounding the whole thing, preventing us from seeing what's waiting for us inside. I stare at the walls hesitantly, wanting to turn back around and take my bets on the road.

"We can do it. We have to." Sophia says, not breaking her glance from the walls. I look over at her, unable to say anything. I hesitantly nod and we walk closer to the gate.

"Hey! There's two girls here! Open the gate!" A voice yelled out from beyond the gate. It sounded to be above us, probably a watch tower.

The giant gate starts to open, and the sun immediately starts to shine into my face. I am meg with a beautiful neighborhood full of mansion-like houses. They look as if they haven't been touched from this world, like they're still in the old world.

I follow Sophia through the gates, only a step behind her. I rub my hand over the letters on my other in attempts to calm my nerves.

I keep an eye out, scanning as much as I can for any possible threats.I see a short woman with short auburn hair walking toward us with a smile, and narrow my eyes, thoroughly examining her.

"Hello! My name's Deanna, i'm the leader here. What are your names?"

"Sophia. That's Enid." Sophia answers hesitantly, but sternly.

"Well then Sophia and Enid, come with me. We'll get you girls all washed up. It looks like you girls have been through a lot." She has a welcoming smile, and starts to walk towards one of the houses, but stops after realizing that neither of us are following her.

"Who are you?" I ask. She chuckles, and I narrow my eyes more.

"You girls came here, but I assure you, you're safe. You actually saved us the trouble of having to go out and bring you back. We try to bring in as many people as possible, to ensure the survival of the human race." Sophia raises a brow.