o5 , whispered words

✴︎
______

whispered words
______

the boy who held his hand out to that little girl with generosity at his fingertips was the only opportunity she had to get off the streets-away from having to scavenge in garbage cans to taking the chance of stealing a single apple from a stall that happened to roll onto the floor just to get by. that same little girl that drank from the only sources of water she could find just to not pass out from dehydration or worse, die.

he did that gesture a few more times after, although i was always hesitant to take it and i never said a word whenever he did. a mumbled thank you was enough to grant the slightest bit of a smile from him before he walked away.

one day after nightfall, i felt my body being softly swayed back and forth without a stop in motion as i blinked open my eyes to see a house and some street lights pass me by. it only sank in that i was being carried once i looked up to see the boy through hazy vision. my heart sank to my stomach as thoughts of what could happen raced through my mind at incredible speed.

he noticed me staring and through whispered words said, "i'll take care of you from now on, so get some sleep." i still stared at him for a moment after and he did the same; but somehow, this shared glance soothed both my confusion and worry all at once. the boy had stern eyes that could kill, yet i still felt so safe in the arms that carried me home that night.

as i cuddled my head into the warmth of the crook of his neck, quiet footsteps on the pavement were the sweet lullaby that put me to sleep again.