19 , white dresses

______

white dresses
______

but none of that was real.

i thought i was still dreaming until the sounds felt too lucid to be a dream. footsteps of heeled shoes could be heard echoing off the hardwood panels of the floor as whispered murmurs made up the stiff atmosphere along with the few dry coughs that would break the solemness every so often.

my eyes fluttered open to be met with a bright light that cascaded in from an open window sitting next to where i laid. my vision was blurred drastically, but through enough squinted blinks it slowly cleared. as i looked around the room, there were other people that were either sat up or lying down on cots with half-eaten food on trays and fresh flowers in small glass vases that sat on a wooden table beside them.

women in white dresses that fell just above their knees and had an armband with the same symbol of a red cross filled the building as they were either writing something down, talking amongst themselves, or speaking with the people on cots. their hair was neatly pulled back in a way that showed off their features so prominently yet also gave off an aura of sophistication. they walked, talked, wrote, and sat so-confidently?

one of the ladies wearing the same white dress walked over to my side of the bed and offered a warm smile coupled with the question of how i was feeling. she held out a cup of water for me to take but not quite understanding where i was or why i was here, i didn't answer or touch the cup she tried giving me.

to my surprise, she just smiled again and set it down on the bedside table that sat to the right of me. i struggled to sit up but she urged me to "lay back down and rest," as she gently pushed me back down onto the bed. i winced after feeling a sharp pain from the arm i had landed on before and memories of the fire flooded my thoughts.

her tone sounded worried as she ushered me to try and not put any pressure on the wounds: two fractures in my left arm, several deep cuts in each foot, and bruises that covered my body; luckily though, none of which punctured any major arteries. by the time she reached the end of her breath as i listened to her list off the amount of injury i had sustained, i was both mildly appalled and exhausted.

she offered me another drink but i was more stunned by what she was saying through a slight headache and a minor throbbing pain my feet and left arm-my injuries would heal in the next couple weeks or so? meaning i would have to stay here for longer than anticipated.

my mouth salivated for the water she was offering to say the least but the confusion of it all left me with more questions then a desire to drink anything she held out in front of my parched lips.