11 , flavescent embers

𖤓
______

flavescent embers
______

the air was laced with clouds of smoke that cinched away at my skin and burned my throat. the more i coughed and choked on my stifled breaths, the more lightheaded i became; ready to fall into an abyss i know i wouldn't come out the other side of. i contemplated whether that was the best option, but fight or flight crept in after the hyperventilating persuaded me enough to try and survive.

through squinted eyes, i looked for a way out barely able to stand while my legs stumbled to carry my weight. i flinched when my hand touched the heat that emulated off the wall as i tried to catch my bearings. the burn left a bright vermillion mark, pulsating and visibly shaking from the pain i could hardly take.

too focused on my hand, i felt a tug at my arm and looked up to see a raven-haired boy shielding his eyes from the flavescent embers that flew like a tornado around us. i could only make out a few words he tried to yell over the sound of flames and wood that fell to the floor with a creaking tremor.

"- bathroom, there's a tile- on the roof- open!" i sat there dumbfounded by what he meant before i was pulled toward the bathroom door. he kicked it open with brutal force, pushing me into the room after the handle left a gaping hole in the wall from how hard it was slammed.

he recited to me what he tried to yell through the violent flames once more and this time, i understood-only, it meant he wasn't coming with me. i tugged at his shirt that was now full of rips, undone seams, and burnt patches to get him to follow me but he didn't budge. "come with me!" i yelled, but his eyes were an answer enough.

intimidating but so desolate, if only i knew that would be the last time i would see him before hearing his last words, "i wasn't ready to say goodbye."