25 , starry night

______

starry night
______

the "roof over my head" was a room in the soldiers barracks that had an extra bunk, but i was assured that it was separate from the soldiers who already shared a room amongst themselves; the "food on the table" was the dining room that connected to the barracks-and where i would also be working for the time being.

i wasn't being paid but because i was working full-time with no days off, i would receive a bi-weekly allowance that's just enough to pay for any personal needs like clothing and such and any ingredients i would need to restock on since apparently it came out of the workers own pockets.

after we left the desolate room i couldn't wait to come out of, the man who didn't sit there and drink whenever he asked me a question walked me to the room i would be staying in for now.

fresh air filled my lungs as soon as the door opened to a darkened state with candles being the only light that lit up our surroundings. maybe my thoughts clouded my vision the time i came out of the infirmary before, but now i could only stand in awe at the stars that glowed with a twinkle in the distance and the moon that seemed so much brighter than i remembered the first time i saw it through such young, adolescent eyes.

if only the person that took me to see the starry night sky as a kid was next to me again in this moment.