13 , maraschino cherries

𖨷
______

maraschino cherries
______

there was a boy with viridian eyes that ran the stall selling the brightest red tomatoes, moonshine in glass jars, and maraschino cherries drenched in a sweet, thick syrup. the color bewitched my fancy the more i took in the mesmeric beauty of his charming features. he told me his cherries were a one-of-a-kind secret recipe his old man made up after swapping a few obvious glances over the array of tomatoes and liquified cherries in jars.

the first time, he offered a jar of those same cherries on the house which i took with pleasantry-though i would be lying if i said i only came back for the cherries.

the girls that i danced with would love when i brought them back the cherries soaked in the candied syrup, finishing the jars and then some to ask for more whenever it was my turn to run the errands. we weren't allowed to eat any sweets or too much of anything in order for us to meet "the standards of a dancer" as they would say. so whenever i was able to get my hands on a sweet like that, we would relish in the delicacy of the candied fruit.

whenever i was able to leave the underground business, the boy would take me out on walks along the flowing river in the city, made the effort of preparing food for a picnic in the prettiest basket, and sometimes would tuck a strand of hair behind my ear before leaning in to kiss my forehead. i would radiate in a warmth of delight after he would place those kisses so delicately on me-it felt as if i was being kissed by an angel.

and the best part was, he never knew about my job.