endearments

Risa likes giving out nicknames. She's famous for using endearments to her staff, supporters, friends, and children. It was probably born out of her malambing self, the Illonga in her she would say. That and she got used to it at home since she addresses her children that way. "Loves", "Dear", "Anak" -- Risa would often be heard using them.

Unlike Risa, she doesn't like using endearments. The only person that could get away with calling her aside from her name was her late husband. But from Risa, she finds it sweet and cute. That realization should have been her first clue; should have been her first "oh" moment. She should have known from then on that Risa would be different, that she'd be more than just a colleague or a friend.

My VP!

She remembers teasing her about it. Probably around 2016, during the campaign where they got close to each other.

"Ang dami mo namang loves. Kanina ka pa nagtatawag diyan. Dear, love.. Why do you like using it pala?"

Risa giggled, "Wala lang. Kasi diba I told you parang force of habit nalang din siya since that's how I call my kids tapos siguro rin it's the Illonga in me. The malambing side of me. Pero mind you di naman sa lahat. Just when I feel comfortable with that person. Comfortable and pag siguro love ko talaga yung tao."

That should have been her second clue. Because that day, when Risa casually addressed her as, "My VP" instead of cringing or slapping her playfully, she felt her heart flutter.

"My VP mo talaga? Baka may makarinig sayo isipin ang damot mo naman. Ayaw mo akong i-share." She replied teasingly. Hindi rin niya alam where that came from. It sounded foreign to her brain after hearing what she just said.. bakit parang nakikipag flirt ako sa kanya? Kay Senator Risa?, she thought as she watched Risa laugh at what she just said. Her eyes almost a slit with her giggling. Ang cute, ang ganda.

"Di naman ako madamot, VP. Sa ibang bagay lang siguro. Bakit ayaw mo ba, My VP?"

"Wala naman akong sinasabing ayoko. Sabi ko nga VP mo ako. Diba, My Senator?"

Risa nodded, smiling at her before exclaiming her favorite word, "Happy!"

It became their thing then. Even after the elections, after they both won, Risa would still call her My VP and her, My Senator. It was kind of their inside joke and to show their support for one another na rin. However, it should have been her third clue. She should have known the butterflies in her stomach and the flutterings of her heart were not just because she had eaten bad food or that she was having heartburn of some sort. She should have known it was all because of her -- Risa. Should have realized it sooner since it only happens whenever she calls her by that nickname.

When they finally got together, Risa continued calling her "My VP," she would use it to address her during her speeches, speaking engagements, or just about anytime she could get away with it. It became even more meaningful for her because she knows it was Risa's subtle way of telling her and everyone in that room that she loves her. Risa even told her herself.

They were both invited into a speaking engagement. It was their first appearance together since making it official. It was sort of an unspoken test for the both of them -- if they could remain professional. Luckily, they were good at it. Or so they thought.

After their staff had shown them the official photos from the event they couldn't help but laugh at how obvious they looked. Most of their photos had one or both of them looking at each other.

Most of it though was of Risa looking at her. However, one photo caught her eye and it was a photograph of herself, smiling, her dimple on display. Her head was titled down as if she was shy about something or rather someone.