Free! Iwatobi Swim Club

This was written November 28th 2019. It was probably going to be about Makoto.

I heard a small meow as I stood outside in the cool morning air. When I looked down, there was a pint-sized white kitten rubbing against my ankle.

"Hello!" I cooed. I squatted down and began to pet the teensy animal. She started to purr, and I sat with my legs crossed she curled up on my lap.

"Charlie!" I heard my mother calling to me. She opened the door and stepped out onto the front porch with me. "You need to get back to unpacking your room. Axel's about done with his bedroom and I just finished my bathroom. Oh! I see you've made a friend there."

"Yeah. She's very cute. I'm gonna call her Artemis." I declare.

"Artemis?" Mom asks.

"Yes, Artemis. After the Greek goddess of the moon. She was an eternal maiden, she never had any children, but she led the Hunters of Artemis who could think of her as a mother." I explain.

"I see. I wouldn't remember all of this, but I know you're very into the Greek gods and those kinds of things." My mom said. "Anyways, though, your friend will have to stay out here. Come get some work done in your room. David got your dresser set up, so maybe put your clothes away first."

I gently scoop up the loudly purring Artemis from my lap and set her on the ground beside me, before standing. I made my way up the stairs to my room and moved the now empty box that has been filled with blankets and other bedding. There were two small boxes labelled "Charlie Clothes" sitting in the corner. I open the first box and find it filled with my t-shirts and hoodies. Pulling out the first few t-shirts, I nearly fold them and set them in my dresser. Two of my three hoodies were also in the box, while I was wearing the other one. I get out my pastel blue "soft boi" hoodie and miss matched pink hoodie with one blue sleeve, one yellow sleeve, a purple hood, and a green pocket and set both of them on top of the dresser.

By a few hours later I had finished unpacking my clothes and David was about to help build my bed and bring in the desk. Last night we arrived late and didn't have time to set up furniture, so all five of us slept on the floor.

"Go help your mom unpack, you won't be much help with the bed anyways." David says as he drops various boards for my bed on the tan carpet.

"O- Okay." I nodded quickly before rushing out of my bedroom, stumbling over my feet a few times. My mom was in the kitchen putting pots and pans in some of the lower cabinets. "Um, mom, do you need any help?"

"Oh! Sweetie, you scared me! Yes, would you put the cups in those cabinets there? Is Dave fixing up your bed?" Mom gestured to the cabinets above the island. I nodded and went over to a brown box labelled "cups" and picked a few up, setting them in the cabinets. A few minutes later mom began to fill the plates into another cabinet above the island. I picked up a few mugs in order to place them on the upper shelf of the cabinet, stood on my tippy toes, and struggled to get the mug onto the shelf.

"Some help?" My brother asked.

"Oh, yeah... Thanks Axel." I handed the mug to her as he easily slid it onto the shelf, then began to put the rest of the mugs with the other. I heard snorting from somewhere behind me, and when I turned I saw my younger sister Vera.

"What, is it really that funny that I'm unpacking mugs?" Axel asked.

"No..." Vera pauses. "I just find it hilarious that Charlie's 16 and she can't reach the top shelf while I'm 13 and I can."

"Lmao shorty." Axel teased.

"Axel, sweetie! Charlie made breakfast. Why don't you come eat before it gets cold?" Mom asked. I heard shuffling from one of the rooms down the hall.

"Ugh, it's early." Axel complained.

"Axel, it's 11 am." Mom said.

"Its- What? It's 11 am? Shi-" He was cut off.

"Language!" She shouted.

"Sorry!" Axel said. About a minute later he stepped out of his room, his black hair was a little bit wet and hanging somewhat in his face. He had his gray beanie in his hand as well as his skateboard.

I lay on my newly constructed bed with my head buried in a pillow.

"Charlie!" A voice called. "Dave and I are going to the store, would you like to come?" My eyes shot open at the sudden disturbance. "Charlie?" My door was pushed open and I first saw the bright blue eyes. Could be anyone, Mom, Axel, Vera. Then I saw the golden blond hair, similar to mine, which meant it was mom. I rubbed my eyes.

"What are you doing? Sleeping?" Mom asked.

"I kind of wanted to take a nap," I muttered.

"It's 2pm honey, you shouldn't be sleeping." My mom shook her head.

"Yeah, I know... Time zones suck though," I whined.

"I know they do, you should go drink some coffee then. I'll start the pot right now." Mom left my room and I could hear her footsteps going down the stairs.

Maybe ten minutes after my mom left, I made my way to the kitchen and filled a white mug with steaming coffee. Before heading upstairs, I pour in some hazelnut creamer. Once I make it to my room, I leave a note on my door saying "gonna go for a walk, be back soon ~Charlie" then I head to the front door. After slipping on my shoes, I open the door and step outside.

There was a large stairway connecting many different houses. I decided to wander down the stairs a little. A few steps down, I notice Artemis hiding behind some plants. I sit down and pet her. Once again she crawls into my lap and begins to purr.

"Hi again! Do you have a home?" I spoke gently to the small kitten. "Would you like to show me around?" I ask. I took her off my lap, lightly set her on the ground, and began to walk again.

After some wandering, I found a nice view of the ocean and sat on a bench to relax for a minute. A couple seconds later, Artemis jumps onto the bench and curls up next to me while I pet her.

"Hey!" There was a slightly high pitched voice calling out. I figured they weren't talking to me, as I didn't recognize the voice, but I turned around anyways. After a few seconds of searching I noticed a blond boy around my age. "Hi! I'm Hazuki Nagisa, are you new here?" It took me a moment to translate his Japanese to English, but eventually I understood. Mom had told us we needed to get used to speaking Japanese regularly, but we were worn out and just spoke in English.

"Oh, h- hi! Yeah, I'm new here. I moved here with my family rec- cently." I responded. I had to pause a few times to figure out the correct translations, but I think I got them mostly right.

"Well, welcome to Iwatobi! You're from America, right?" The boy, Nagisa, asked.

"Y- Yes. My Japanese isn't the best, but I've been learning." I said.

"Well it's nice to meet you!" Nagisa said excitedly.

"You t-" I was cut off by somebody shouting the male's name.

"Sorry, it was nice to meet you, but my friends are searching for me! I've got to go, but maybe I'll see you again sometime, bye!" With that, Nagisa waved quickly and ran off.

"Um, okay... Bye." I said to myself. It was slightly cold outside, so I decided I would head back to the house. Artemis followed me there, and I desperately wanted to bring her inside, but I decided against it.

I made my way upstairs and slouched in my desk chair.