Tom

I wrote this March 25th 2020.

HAZEL

Gently and quietly, I slip my phone out of Jared's hand. Making sure not to wake him, I stepped out of the room and out of the house entirely. I did remember to be sure I had my keys, but after closing the door as softly as I could, I unlock my phone and scroll through my contacts.

Tord, Tord, Tord, I thought. Just about all of my contacts had been deleted, my brother's included. Lucky for me, I had his phone number memorized. I quickly typed it in and called him.

I rang once, twice, thrice, and finally he picked up at the last ring.

"Hazel?" Tord's voice was heavily accented which told me that I had woken him up.

"Did I wake you up? I'm sorry, you can go back to sleep. Sorry," I mumbled.

"Wait, Hazel. What's up, do you need something?" He asked.

"N- No... Um, I'll be okay," I said.

"Hazel, you don't call often. I've got a feeling there's something wrong," he said.

"Okay, well... Um, Jared got a little upset last night and I don't really want to stay in the house," I explained quietly.

"Alright, where are you?" I told him the address of Jared's apartment. "Okay, I can be there in 30 minutes, get ready,"

"No Tord, it's the middle of the night! I'll be okay," I argued.

"Bye Haze, see you in a while." I heard the loud beep of Tord hanging up the phone and I jumped slightly.

"It's 2:30am Tord..." I mumbled to myself. Knowing I couldn't convince him that I'd be fine, I decide to grab some of my things. I don't particularly want to come back here, but I didn't want to be a burden on Tord, so I didn't plan on taking all of my belongings. I grab the essentials, a couple changes of clothes, phone, charger, and earbuds, my toothbrush, and my little stuffed dinosaur. Remembering that I was in my jammies, I changed quickly into a hoodie, black shirt, and ripped skinny jeans.

I shoved all of my things into my backpack, and my wallet and the book I was currently reading into my mini backpack. Then, I stepped outside and waited for Tord.

It had probably been five minutes at the most, but I was already getting bored. I pulled out my phone and plugged in my earbuds, shuffling my liked songs on Spotify.

I don't know where you're going, but do you got room for one more troubled soul?

I spaced out to the sound of Fall Out Boy, and next thing I knew, the song was over and a new one was playing.

I got those jet pack blues

Just like Judy

Once again, my focus drifted from reality and to the song playing.

The song switched and as I listened to my eyes got heavy. While I sat on the bench outside my boyfriend's apartment building, my chin rested on my hand, I started to drift off to sleep.

When you are feeling alone

A saviour, for all that you do

So you live freely without their harm

"Hazel?" When I opened my eyes I saw my older brother kneeling down beside me. "Are you ready to go?" He asked.

"Oh, um... Yeah. Sorry," I said. Tord grabs my backpack while I pick up my mini backpack, and we walk to his crimson red Jeep Wrangler. He unlocks it and after we both sit down he hands me a fuzzy light purple blanket.