Feelings

Douma held his friend closer, letting him cling to him as he cried softly into his shoulder. How strange. He had begun to think that the older demon was incapable of crying, as he was always so tough and fierce. Seems everyone has their bad days. Even Akaza.

He was unsure as to why he was so upset right now, had he done something wrong in the fight? never mind he would just have to ask Akaza when he was feeling better. 

It only took a few seconds before the sobs merged into soft snores, with the smaller demon clinging to him in his sleep for once. How interesting. usually it was the other way around.

He didn't mind the change. If Akaza needed to be held, then he would be all too happy to oblige. After all, he was the one who had given him feelings when nobody else could. He owed him everything. 

Douma wasn't born unfeeling. He could cry, and laugh and feel everything a normal child could feel as he grew up. That is until his parents became obsessed with making money off of him. His bright rainbow eyes, and silvery white-blonde hair had his parents convinced that he was special. That he could hear the voices of the gods. After all, with features such as these how could he not be a divine blessing from the heavens?

That's what he had heard growing up. No matter how much he complained and urged that he wasn't anything special, nobody took him seriously. and why would they? he was 4 years old. After a while he just gave up and went with it. Allowing his parents to build a cult around him, letting dozens of men and women come flocking in the doorways to pray to him. The things they confessed about their pitiful lives.. the horrific abuse and poverty and illness they all went through.. it was too much for a child to handle. Too much, too often.

He helped himself cope the only way he could. He shut down his mind. Blocked those feelings of pain and regret and sadness he was receiving every day. That was the only way he found it bearable to sit and listen all day every day. 

This shutdown just made him seem less human, and more like a sort of divine statuette to his parents. He was never shown love, never tucked in at night or given a hug or a kiss or a simple "i love you". it was as if he wasn't their child at all. Just some statue to pray to.

He never heard the voices of the gods. But he continued leading his cult all through his wreck of a childhood, even after his parents murdered each other when he was a mere 6 years old. Even then his emotions were too far gone to give a single care when they died. The only thought that crossed his mind that night, as he watched them bleed out in front of him, was how the bloodstains were every going to come out of the floor.

That was until that fateful night 7 months ago where he met Akaza for the first time. And he had laughed. Ever since then his feelings were slowly beginning to open up again. He had cried, laughed, cared about people, and even gotten angry. Funny how the person to save him wasn't a person at all. Funny how he had to become a man eating monster to find his humanity. 

Douma looked down at his lap and gently stroked the silky pink hair that was resting there, a small smile on his lips as he pulled the sleeping body of his friend closer to him. Yes, he had felt all these amazing feelings with the other uppermoons. But with Akaza there was something else too. Something he couldn't put his finger on. A different feeling to all the others he had felt so far.

He felt safe with him, happy all the time with him. No matter what he was doing he would gladly drop it just to have a brief hug with the lower rank. Sometimes his cheeks would heat up a bit in these moments, and when he looked in a mirror the times that happened, his face was a bright red in color. 

When the striped demon was with anyone else, or showing the slightest bit of affection for anyone apart from him, he would feel a sour feeling, and his smile would always drop off his face. Sometimes he would get a sharp pain in his heart when he was referred to as "my friend". 

it was inexplainable. 

He would ask Akaza when he woke up what it all meant. For now they would sleep. He was exhausted from his fight earlier. 

After carefully carrying the smaller demon to the bed, Douma collapsed next to him and wrapped his arms around him as he always did when they slept, too exhausted to even think about changing out of his torn up and filthy clothes and washing up. That could wait until after he had slept. As he closed his eyes, he smiled once again to feel a hand run through his hair and an arm wrapping around his waist. 

It was warm and comforting, and in a few seconds the two demons were fast asleep in each others arms.