Chapter Seventeen

Frank's POV

Chemistry passed with an agonizing slowness that was going to drive me insane pretty soon, which was an oddity for me. I didn't usually love this class, but today I thought I might scream if I had to stare at the periodic table of elements for another second.

I couldn't even concentrate enough to take notes, I had just ended up doodling instead - another irregularity for me. I wasn't sure why I was feeling this way, I just couldn't shake this nagging sensation that something was very wrong, and the unexplained worry was consuming my thoughts.

Gerard seemed to be afflicted by my strange mood as well. As soon as we had entered the classroom, he had retreated to his desk and placed his head in his arms, and he hadn't moved all period. Maybe he was still feeling sick...but he had seemed fine this morning when he picked me up.

Heaving a frustrated sigh, I attempted to pay attention and actually get some work done, but it was a wasted effort. I couldn't force my brain to absorb any of the information Mr. Fuentes was explaining to us, so I decided to copy Gerard's actions and use my desk as a pillow for the rest of the class instead.

My other classes passed in a similar fashion, and by the time lunch rolled around, I felt like I had been in school for one hundred years, and I still had two more periods to go after this. I wondered if I had caught whatever had made Gerard feel ill last night, because I didn't feel right - not sick exactly, just off.

I sat at my usual table and waited for Pete and Mikey to show up, because even though I was dating Gerard now, I didn't want to ditch my friends. I always hated it when one of my friends got into a relationship and started to ignore me completely, and I was determined not to be that person.

"Hey Frank," Mikey greeted me with a halfhearted wave and I returned the gesture.

"Does it feel like this day is dragging on to you?" I sighed in irritation once Mikey had seated himself, because even lunch seemed like it should be over already, even though it had just started.

"Not really - why?" Mikey mumbled around a mouthful of food.

"I don't know, I am just in a funk today I guess."

"Did - uh...did something happen between you and Gerard?" Mikey shot me a nervous look as he spoke. We all knew Gerard was a sensitive subject, and Mikey and I had sort of agreed without actually saying anything to not bring him up anymore after the last conversation which had ended in me storming away.

"No...I mean - he was sick yesterday, but we are fine. Did he say something to you?" I couldn't hide the twinge of worry that twisted my tone of voice, but I had no idea what Mikey was taking about, and I was starting to freak out. Maybe my odd feeling from earlier meant something after all.

"Oh - okay, well that makes sense then. He was just acting really weird yesterday. He came home early from work and locked himself in his room, and he wouldn't come out for dinner or anything. I thought I actually heard him crying later that night, but if you say he was sick, then it was probably just the sniffles or something."

"Oh...yeah I think he just wasn't feeling well." I shook my head slightly to try and clear the cloud of fear that was still hanging over my thoughts. Nothing was wrong with Gerard - he was just sick...right?

"Sorry I mentioned it." Mikey smiled sheepishly, and I grinned back to show him there was no hard feelings. Mikey didn't seem to hate his brother so much when Pete wasn't around, and I never felt attacked when it was just Mikey and I. Speaking of Pete...he was pretty late for lunch, which wasn't like him at all. That boy loved food more than anyone I had ever known.