Just among the shadows ~ Chapter 7

"Are you quite done sauntering around" Eden called out to her younger sister watching the excited girl prance around the room her brown hair trailing down her back pink flowers decorating the crown of her head.

"Oh, this is so exciting, my first actual ball event" Clara held her hands together smiling ear to ear. "It's not a ball, Clara, it's a-" Eden clicked her fingers together trying to find the word.

"Soirée" George answered, glancing up from his new paper.
"How come you and Gerard are not attending" Clara lifted her skirt, swooshing it from side to side. "I don't really fancy parading myself around like a fool in a room full of women," George responded to his sister. "We are forced to do it all the time, I'm sure you can do it just once," Eden added to her sibling's conversation. "Yes, but you all do it ever so gracefully" George retorted, feeling the force of a pillow smack off his face.

"Where's Aun-" Eden began to ask. "Off at some old friends of hers home she told me to wish Clara luck" George replied quickly seeing the furrow of Edens's brows. "Friends are any of them still alive" Clara giggled at her own little joke. "Surprising yes all alive sour, frail and rich". George folded up his newspaper, "If I can't say bye to Aunt Polly then where's Gerard, I wish to say goodbye to him before we go," Clara asked the two.

"Gerard left earlier to go deal with accounting and other responsibilities of his that he takes ever so seriously" George answered sarcastically. "The responsibility which keeps this family afloat, George" Eden shot George a glare before putting on her gloves. "You're starting to sound just like him" George muttered dragging himself up from his chair. "That's a good line, maybe write it on your next famous play" Eden childishly grinned at her brother who did the same face back.

"Come on Clara, we're off to a soree" Eden held out her arm.
"It's a Soirée" her younger sister corrected before rushing out the door.

The two sisters made it halfway down the path before the door opened. "Although I will be attending the gentleman's club tonight, Gerard shall also be there" Eden heard George shout running out the door.

"You said he was out doing responsibilities ?" Eden replied, adding air quotes on the last word. "Gerard's responsibilities stop at 7 o'clock usual" he checked his watch before smirking at his sister. "So, what are you doing ?" Eden rolled her eyes at her brother.

"I shall be joining you in your carriage you are going that way after all" George turned around heading inside. "Maybe Gerard will come with us tonight ?" Clara questioned. "Please hurry we're already late" Eden rolled her eyes shouting to her brother.

"I shall need a change of clothes" George informed gesturing down his body. "Why ? the men do not care" Eden quipped back now stood outside alone. "Oh, but dear sister I do" he smirked, knowing keeping Eden and Clara waiting longer would annoy the two.

About 20 minutes passed, and George finally got in the carriage, met with an angry Eden and an impatient Clara.
"You took your time ?" Eden spat her arms folded over her chest. "Yes, I did" George smirked to his sister before banging the top of the carriage, notifying the horsemen to go.

Arriving at the gentlemen club, Eden shooed her brother out of the carriage, ordering him to quickly go grab Gerald and see if he was to attend tonight's soirée.

"Just please hurry up" Clara begged her brother. The two sisters were hopeful of their brother being quick and heading straight to the ball after receiving an answer, but they were wrong another 20 minutes had passed before Eden had enough, lifting out of her seat she opened the carriage door.

"What are you doing ?" Clara asked, looking at her sister confused. "Going to get him myself" she answered back, jumping down from the steps. "Eden they won't let you in it's a gentleman's club" Clara laughed at her sister. "Well, I'm about to be the first lady to step in" Eden hopped down the steps and walked up the path to the opening.