A night to remember ~ Chapter 24

The house seemed to be swarmed with random people Eden had never seen before, all walking in from the early hours of the morning and not leaving till midnight, Gerard bidding them all goodbye with a happy smile on his face.

For the past few days, Eden had been kept in the house locked away from the outside world not forcefully but intentionally, her older brother Gerard making any excuses possible to keep her inside.

Eden wanders round the halls of her home, the dust on the dark walls painting her dragging fingers grey. Eden continued walking further until the hearty humming of Clara was heard all the way down the hall, her feet shuffling around the floor.

"What are you doing ?" Eden swayed down the hallway to her thoughtless sister.

"Dancing." Clara replied, spinning round the room, the setting sun casting a purple shadow.

"Alone ?" Eden questioned, leaning against the wall.

"Yes, if any suitors wish to dance with me tonight, I must be ready." Clara stopped standing in the middle of the hall, tired of her sister's voice.

"Clara you are a still a child" Eden walked over to her sister holding her hands.

"I am to be eighteen in a few months, my time is now." Clara's words made Eden role her eyes.

"Your time will be soon to don't rush it." Eden jokingly span her sister round.

"Are you excited about tonight ?" Clara asked, rejoining her sister.

"Yes, I suppose so, why ?" Eden smiled, jokingly waltzing along with her sister.

"It's just we haven't had a ball since, well-well, mother and father passed." Clara spoke, her tone becoming saddened and anxious.

"I know" Eden stared at her sister who eyes stayed on the ground.

"But I'm sure it will be just as grand." Eden offered her a reassuring smile.

"Yes." Clara softly smiled before leaving go of Eden's hands.

"You should start to get ready for the ball shall" Eden began walking away.

"Indeed." Clara nodded.

"And don't dance, you're terrible at it." Eden added back to her sister before picking up her pace.

"Sod off." Clara shouted back at her disappearing sister.

"So un-lady like Clara." Eden added.

"Are you excited ?" Lizzie made her way round the room, twirling in Eden's dress.

"I suppose so." Eden laughed at her friend.

"Oh, you haven't had a ball in so long." Lizzie grabbed Eden's hands, squeezing them.

"It won't be as lively as the Bridgertons or the Queens, not with how dark and gloomy this house is." Eden added, making the Lizzie smile at her friend's pessimistic attitude.

"The Featheringtons are having a ball, a gold ball." Lizzie pushed her hands in up in dramatics at the words.

"If you are to throw another ball the next should be a masquerade, can you imagine the mystery of it all." Lizzie sat on the edges of the bed grinning making Eden looked to the potted flowers rested beside her, the small yellow acacias stood out brightly against the freshly bloomed pink and white foxglove.