Goodbye Mr Bridgerton ~ Chapter 17

London, England 1808.

Eden had somehow managed to avoid Benedict Bridgerton for four months. She had declined offers to outings, managed to fake illness when the next ball came, and refused to go anywhere near the Bridgerton manor.

The four young Walseworth parents had to set off to America two days ago, leaving Gerard in control in their absence. Eden didn't really listen to him, but George and Clara gladly followed.

The only place the 18-year-old could visit without the constant fright of seeing him was her old ballet studio, where her teacher Miss Bronze allowed her to practice in secret.

As Eden grew, her mother liked the idea less and less of her daughter continuing Ballet, the only reason for her beginning is it would hopefully teach control to the loud young girl. Despite being unsuccessful, Eden still enjoyed the sport and continued to. The room in which she practiced was at least a hundred years old dust collected on the inner corner of the detailed ceiling and the wooden floors has chips and dents from the years of torment the enormous glass pains allowed the sun to shine in brightly, but the room was large and free that made Eden happy. Eden's point shoes were old and used but allowed her to dance and so did her dress which for once was cut over her ankles, another plus side Eden appreciation when it came to ballet.

Standing up from tightening the pink ribbons which wrapped around her calves, Eden smoothed out her draped dress, the simple piece was the most comfortable thing she wore. She did some simple stretching before performing for her favorite audience. Herself. As she spun, the music played in her head, a memory that always replayed whenever she needed it. Growing up, Eden couldn't focus on many things but where to place her feet, and the harsh slashes of the violin stayed embedded in her head. The light taps of her fleet floated her across the floor, her legs stained for the desired stillness she required when pointing her leg.

Benedict was late, extremely late for his art class, one of the few hobbies he enjoyed his quick footstep hurried down the hallway passing an empty room all quiet to his ears and empty to his eyes. Running past one, he was subconsciously brought back by his own feet, which was turned to silence. Peering through the door a bit longer, he saw the woman's face who had caused him to stay and be even later for what was an important class. Benedict gently stepped through the door, he was lured in like a siren, one with no sound. The woman in front of him had no awareness of his presence, and he enjoyed it. Her eyes shut peacefully as she pranced around the room, happier than he had ever seen the lady before. Her body delicately spun and twirled so beautifully and precisely, it was a breathtaking sight. Benedict hadn't seen Eden in so long, he had asked his younger brother Colin if he had managed to catch a glimpse of her, and he always replied with a simple but painful no. The woman's absence in his life was made clear after a week, it became even more clear after she didn't attend the season's events.

"Benedict ?" He was brought out of his thoughts by the woman's hushed voice. "Eden" He studied her face trying to find any hint of her emotions towards him. He couldn't find any. "What are you doing here ?" she questioned his sudden appearance, never having saw him in this area before. "I was passing by and well-" He gestured to her attire. "Oh" was all she mustered up, turning away from him and hurriedly heading for her makeshift bag, not wanting to stay for much longer. "Eden wait" He grabbed her waist stopping her from going past him. She swiftly pushed his arm away as though it was poisoning her. "I- I just want to say" Benedict was quickly cut short. "No, no don't speak I'm just gather my things and leave" She went to leave again but Benedict gently grabbed her hand stopping her from taking any further steps. "Eden, listen...please" Benedict almost sounded like he was begging to be heard. Eden's arms went loose, and she turned to face the man. "I didn't mean to hurt you" Benedict informed. "You haven't hurt me, Benedict, my silly infatuation with you is gone" Eden turned away and began walking. "Infatuation ?" Benedict questioned the woman's words. "Eden, you told me you loved me." Benedict was now smiling at the woman who was walking away. "And I was stupid" Eden replied, facing the man. "So your feelings are gone so fast ?" His grin was still plastered on his lips as he walked closer to her. "Yes, they left when you harshly turned me away," Eden told the man who now stood a mere centimeter away from her. "See that is it, you are too young to understand these feelings" Benedict spoke, his smile now more understanding.

"Too young? I am no longer your younger brother's play date but a grown woman, but you-you still act like a child." Eden argued back, offended by his assumption of her naivety. Benedict's smile quickly faded at her words. "You were basically laughing at me when I told you, and you dare to call me too young to understand feelings, please tell me cupid how many women have you persuaded in the name of love?" She angrily questioned the man in front of her. "I meant no harm by my actions, you surely know that" Benedict tried to reason.
"No harm by your action you have fed into these fantasies of mine for the past year noticing that I am in utter adoration of you, so you're reciting to me, you mean no harm doesn't make up for the pain you have caused me" Eden explained the man's actions that he was so blind to see. "Eden, that is not my fault" Benedict argued. "Not your fault ?" Eden asked in disbelief.
"No it's not" Benedict stepped forward trying to grasp her hand "Don't touch me" Eden pulled away. "Eden" A hurt sound escaped his lips, a sound Eden had never heard from Benedict. "Benedict i-i understand you don't love me but when you do stuff like this it makes me believe you do" Eden stared back at the man. The pair rested in silence for a moment. "Eden, I'm just caring for you" he finally spoke up. "And I don't need you to" she replied, her tone much harsher than his. "But I want to" Benedict admitted, his tone now matching hers.

"Then say you love me ?" Eden challenged, looking at the man, whose face seemed to fight with itself. "I don't get why you can't just accept my care," Benedict shouted to the woman who now stood far away from him. "Because I don't want it, Benedict, I don't want to have whatever you're proposing for so long and then suddenly wake up one day and see you have fallen in love with another woman" Eden sorrowfully admitted turning away from the man. "You don't know what you want" he bit back to Eden's hurtful perception of him.

"No, I do know what I want, and well what you want... is not me" Eden picked up her bag before quickly looking back up at Benedict. "Eden" Benedict spoke in the same hurt tone he had previously. "Goodbye, Mr. Bridgerton" She turned away from the man and left him alone in the empty hall.

Unbeknownst to both, this was the last time they saw each other for the next six years.

The 24-year-old Walseworth sat alone in the carriage, still trying to get away from the art room as fast as possible. The painful memory surged back into her head and easily overpowered the feeling from the unholy state she had just seen Benedict Bridgerton in. She suddenly remembered how much it hurt to love Benedict Bridgerton.

*Authors note*

Hiya all hope you enjoy this chapter I'm not too sure as it feels like it's set out a bit silly, but I did try haha and I want to say ballet is a very hard and extreme sport so to anyone who does it my praise goes to you and please I beg you to ignore all the incorrect info in this chapter, but thank you all for your comments, votes, and reads I really do love them and appreciate them and I love you all xxx