Chapter 188: Fallen star (5)

...

It was Surha who was shocked next.

"If he acquires another unique world, he can become an Awakener again."

Surha realized what Jaehwan was talking about and what his intentions were. Jaehwan was offering him something right now: to leave Rupture and create his own world. Imai spoke with a shaking voice.

"I... I did what was right. I fought for what is right. I..."

"Yes, of course. That's why I'm letting you go."

Imai frowned. It was hard to describe the feeling of being accepted by the enemy he had fought.

"Leave. And find your own world."

The solemn voice shook Imai's spirit. The small amount of suspicion he had toward Rupture exploded out. Imai looked at it with another perspective. Maybe this was another chance, a chance to forget everything and start over again. It was a chance to fight against things he couldn't fix, even when he knew it was wrong.

Imai glanced at Surha again. Surha wasn't sure what Imai would choose to do.

"F-find my own world...?"

"..."

"He... hehe... that's foolish!"

It was the man's final pride.

"Rupture was my everything! Whether it is right or wrong, it is my life and my history! You tell me to betray it now? There's no way!"

Imai pointed at Jaehwan with his broken sword. Was he trying to fight with that? Even when people knew he had no world power left, they grew tense. Imai was that fierce.

"Hah. Yes, you are right. Maybe Rupture is wrong. Maybe we... I was going on the wrong path. But... There's something that you don't know."

"..."

"Even if the world is sick and destroyed.. there's a person who loves the world."

And with a laugh, Imai's katana moved. Someone gasped. The sword struck Imai's heart as he fell down onto the ground.

"You are cursed... someday... you will pay for destroying this entire world... You... you... and you..."

His last sight turned to Surha.

"I... I will... in my world..."

The breathing stopped and Imai perished. Silence fell among them, silence close to the curse.

"Why did you do this...?"

Surha felt her eyes becoming hot. Maybe her eyes were now red. She didn't like Imai. She didn't like him when she was in Rupture either. But what was this?

It was a shame, but she couldn't hold back her emotions. She hated Jaehwan for showing this to her and she hated Jaehwan for making Imai choose to do this. She knew it wasn't Jaehwan's fault, but Surha couldn't hide her emotions.

"...I wanted to see."

"And exactly what did you want to see..!"

However, Surha couldn't continue. Maybe it was because she'd seen Jaehwan with that expression for the first time - an expression of a man that was loneliest one in the world. There was no need to ask what he wanted to see. Surha knew. Maybe Jaehwan was the person in the most pain here.

Surha then thought Jaehwan was very 'human'.

He was human. He was strong and more reliable than anyone else, but he was still human.