Chapter 218: Big Brother (12)

...

If there was the greatest despair one could feel, it probably started here. Jaehwan thought as he saw all those screens packed within the space.

[Let me introduce our friends who lead this <Panopticon> with me!]

There were tanks that contained spirits placed in front of the many screens. Jaehwan then realized that the tanks were connected to all of those screens as if the spirits were given control of the screens.

Jaehwan then read the names.

Jan-Pol of Reality

Horhay of Imagery

Scarge of Space

Mars of Plays

Melville of Unfairness

He then recalled a certain memory at the mention of the name 'Melville'. It was the name of the Master Craftsman who created the tower Moby Dick that Chunghuh cleared.

[Yes. They are [Masters]. They are given the important task of maintaining <Panopticon>.]

Jaehwan kept on reading the names. Another familiar name came up.

Ignel of the Deep Fall.

He remembered the blacksmith he visited in <Chaos>. <Twilight's Fall> was where he created the scabbard with Meikal. Ignel was the owner of the blacksmith workshop. He was known to have left for a journey and it seemed like he too had come up to <Depth>. Mulack tapped on the tank Ignel was in and spoke.

[This friend barely became a [Master] a while ago so I just added him. He's a bit clumsy for now, but he'll become useful soon.]

"...Do all Nightmares come here in the end?"

[Yes, of course. All Nightmares become curious about what the 'Nightmare of the Beginning' is and why they exist. All Nightmares are bound to come here when they become [Masters]. They all go through the 'Fall of time' like you did. Yes, the space that you called 'darkness'. But they go mad before coming here, so I have to go down and collect them.]

Jaehwan felt his head aching. So many questions were filling his head, but he wasn't sure what question would get him the answer he wanted. Jaehwan asked, "Are they Big Brother too?"

[You've been asking that strange question all along. They are not Big Brother. Don't you feel that they have not achieved 'Transcendence' like you, me, or Daeus? They are only consumables.]

"But why..."

[Because they are the only ones who can control Cultivation.]

...Cultivation? Jaehwan became dumbfounded. Cultivation, didn't that only exist in the towers? But these screens were...

[I can't control the Cultivations alone even though I've become a Big Brother.]

Jaehwan closed his mouth. Instead, he turned to all screens that were looking down. Why didn't he know? He now realized what was behind all this and the meaning of [Cultivation].

He always thought it was a plan for Big Brother to maintain the cycle of the <Great Lands> and <Depth>, but he never thought about why Big Brother would want to do such a thing. Jaehwan looked at those screens.

There were the Roots of the Tree of Imagery and Towers of Nightmares.

-AAAAARGH!

-SAVE ME!!!

People were screaming inside, and although there were no sounds coming from the screen, Jaehwan felt like he could still hear it. It was the beginning of all tragedies with the Cultivation of the tower. Jaehwan then turned to the other group of screens.