already gone//bayside

Luke ran a hand through his dark blonde hair, it was greasy. He can't remember the last night he's washed it, he can't remember the last time he slept.

He's constantly driving the hour back and forth to his job then home every time Michael has a problem. It's taking a tow on his mental health. 

He presses the garage button, closing the door behind him. Luke made sure it closed before heading inside. Their laundry room wasn't dirty for the first time in one month. Luke's breath caught in his throat. "Michael?" He called out. 

Their American Short Haired cat came into the room, she was freshly brushed. 

He swore to himself as he dropped his bag on the ground. He wandered through the front hall way, his husband was sitting at the cedar wooded kitchen table. He was in a navy blue dress, lace on the back. "Are you Ashton today?"

He sipped his cup of tea, his pinky held out straight to show his freshly painted nails. "Michael was feeling a little in over his head," he spoke slowly, "So, I came here instead."

Luke rolled his sea blue eyes before heading to the fridge. "Can you tell Mike that I'd like him back before the kids come home?" He took out a container of strawberries, placing them on the counter before finding a knife to cut off the stems. 

He ignored Luke. "I'm horrified by your clothing right now," Ash spoke. He wiped the bleached blonde hair from his eyes. Each strand was perfectly curled, it should've been the first sign that the person in Michael's body was not Michael. 

Luke looked down at his outfit—black skinny jeans, the left knee cut out, a black long sleeved shirt, matching black socks. "Why? I'm a music engineer, this is what we all wear." He continued to cut off the green stems of the red fruit, moving them to a glass bowl. 

"It's disgusting," Ashton practically spit. "You look homeless. If I saw you walking down the street, I'd walk the other way."

"Wow, thanks, Ash. So glad to have you back." His tone radiated sarcasm as he looked up at the other man. His lips had a shade of red painted over them, Michael's usual bushy eyebrows were plucked to a pristine shaped then colored in. His cheekbones were contoured and made his face much more feminine. "Alex and Nick are going to be home in less than ten minutes, are you sure Mike isn't going to be back?"

Ashton shook his head from left to right and placed down his glass teacup. "Nope, definitely not." He stood up, his nude ballet flats clicking against the floor, "Do not call our daughter Alex, that is a boys name."

Luke rolled his eyes again, "There is no such thing as a boy/girl name. Alex likes to be called Alex, you're the only one who liked the name Alexandria."

He put a pale hand to his chest, "Excuse you."

The sound of the garage opening made Luke cringe. He knew the night would be filled with yelling and pounding headaches. 

Alex didn't like Ashton, Alex didn't like Calum, Alex didn't even like Michael anymore. Mike was doing so well, Luke thought he managed to control the personalities again. Luke tried to cope with it all, it was hard for him and he knew it was harder for everyone else. 

"We're home!" The voice of their daughter filled the house. 

Luke heard their backpacks drop, their shoes kicking off. Nick and Alex came in minutes later, their eyes scanning over Ashton. "What is he doing here?" Alex asked, taking off her denim jacket. 

"I'm not sure. Your dad texted me around noon in a panic, and Ashton was here by the time I got home," Luke answered. He put the fresh strawberries on the table where Nick was now sitting. The fifteen year old gladly took a handful of his favorite food. 

Alex was still giving Ashton dirty glances. 

"You need to get rid of the attitude right now—."

"Ash, drop it," Luke said as he passed by the other man. He rolled up the sleeves of his cotton shirt as he began to prepare more of a snack for his family. 

"How dare you? Why do you let her treat me like this?" Ashton was always more dramatic than Michael or Calum. He was easily offended, he was always offended. 

Alex rolled her dark green eyes. She was the image of Michael. Luke was only nineteen when Michael gave birth to Alex. Mike was twenty-one yet he wasn't ready either. Luke remembers holding her for the first time, her bright eyes were astonishing and he thought she was a sign that it was going to get better. He was wrong. 

"I have homework to do," she sighed. Alex left, her dyed blue hair swishing behind her. 

Luke looked over at Ashton, his arms were crossed, his jaw was clenched tight. "What? What do you want me to do?" Luke asked.

"Make her apologize! She cannot treat me like that!" He answered. He waved his hands around in front of him as he tried to get the point across. 

Luke looked at him with heavy eyes. "We haven't seen you in a month, Ash. We thought you were gone, she's just in shock that you came back." He held two fingers up to his forehead, already feeling the migraine coming on. 

(a/n) hiii, so this is my new story. it's going to be a psychological warfare—i'm warning you now, no hating on me.

michael has two personalities, calum and ashton. you just met ashton, he's the feminine personality. ashton is pretty much a 50s house wife, he likes to clean, cook, comb the cat.

hope you enjoy!

xo,

soph