Airport, Sisters, and Exes

Meanwhile in Seattle........

Alex's POV

After we listened to the tape we just sit there in shock, no one daring to say anything. I can't help but think to myself that I should have been the one on that plane, and not let Arizona on. If anything happens to her I will blame myself forever because it's my fault she is in a plane crash and not with Callie and Sofia.

"Do we know where they are?" Jackson asks the police, and they shake their heads. I get up to go get Zola because she has been in daycare all day.

"Where are you going?" Callie asks, her voice full of sadness and worry.

"To go get Zola, I can get Sofia as well if you want me to," I say as I look back to her.

"Can you?" she asks me and I nod as I walk out of the room. I walk quickly down the hallway and turn a corner where I almost run straight into Bailey.

"What's going on? Why did I get pages to the Chief's office?" she questions me, and I perceive that she probably doesn't know about the plane crash yet.

"There was a plane crash and they don't know where they are," I answer her, and her face falls and she looks like she is about to cry.

"Are you okay?" she asks me, her motherly side coming out and I shake my head. "Don't worry they will find them with all this modern technology," she says reassuringly, and I shake my head.

"But in what state?" I ask as I walk past her. I walk slowly down the hall, trying to imagine what is happening out there. I can't get the image of Lexie getting sucked out of the side of the plane, and Derek getting pulled out as well. I go into Derek's office to get Zola's bag of stuff that they have in case need be, and I notice an alert on his computer screen. It reads 'pick Amy up from the airport at eight o'clock. It takes me a little bit to work out who Amy is before I remember Meredith saying something about Derek's sister Amelia coming in to work on a medical case with Derek. I look at the clock on the wall to see that it is seven fifteen, and decide to ask if someone can watch Zola while I go to pick her up so she doesn't have to wait at the airport for Derek forever. I quickly pick up Zola's bag that was beside his filing cabinet, and run down to the daycare.

"Hello, who are you picking up and what is your name?" the lady asks, not looking up from her work.

"Zola and Sofia, and my name is Alex Karev," I answer and she looks up.

"Okay, I will go get the girls for you," she says as she turns around and enters the daycare. Five minutes later she returns, leading the two smiling and laughing girls to me.

"Hi Unca Alex," Zola greets smiling widely at me.

"Hi," Sofia says softly, looking up to me. Sofia is often very shy around people until she has gotten used to them. One time Arizona asked me to watch her for three hours and she barely said anything the whole time, but when she is with Zola I hear her chatting away.

"When is Auntie Amy coming?" Zola questions.

"I was just going to go pick her up," I respond.

"Can we come?" Zola and Sofia question.

"Maybe, I just have to get permission first," I say, as I start to lead them back to the office.

"Where are we going?" Zola asks after a little while.

"To the chief's office," I respond, and they start running ahead of me, trying to see who can get there first.

"I got here first," Zola says loudly.