Little Twisted Brother and Grieving Yang

Alex's POV

After the princess the princess tea party is over, both of the girls are rather sleepy so Callie and I decide to put them to bed. They fall asleep quickly with no complaints, so it allows Callie and I to head up together to the ICU. We walk in an awkward silence down the hallway and onto the elevator.

"How is Meredith?" I ask Callie, once we are on the elevator. She looks over to me and gives me a sad smile.

"We were able to fix her internal bleeding, and it seems that she didn't suffer any cranial injury, but the other Dr. Shepherd is going to do a neurological test once she wakes up. Her leg is the main problem though, as we couldn't keep her under the anesthesia as long as we would have liked due to her pregnancy, there is a risk of her leg becoming infected. So we don't know of any problems currently, but some may arise," Callie explains.

"How are you doing?" I ask, and she looks at me confused. "How are you doing with the not knowing?" I ask again, and her face darkens which proves that she understood my question.

"I-I don't know. I have a feeling that something isn't right, but currently nothing is really the definition of 'right', so I don't know Karev," Callie answers, and I nod my head slowly.

"I should have been on that plane, not Arizona. Don't look at me like I'm the only one who has thought this. Arizona had you and Sofia, and I have no one here," I say, but Callie immediately interrupts.

"You don't have no one," she objects, but I shake my head.

"Who do I have here? Meredith? Cristina? They were on the plane that crashed, I should have been out there with my family so Arizona could be here with hers," I point out.

"Alex, Arizona wouldn't have wanted you to be out there, no matter what she had said to you as she took your seat," Callie says.

"I wanted to leave because I wanted to get away from Seattle Grace Mercy Death. Arizona is a great teacher, but I just want to get away from all the crazy and past that surrounds this place. Something horrible always happens; George died, Meredith was the girl with the bomb, Meredith drowned, Denny died, Izzie got cancer, the shooting, and many other things," I explain, and Callie nods her head as the elevator door opens.

"I'm going to check on Mark, Meredith is in room 214," Callie says as she walks down the hallway, in the opposite direction. I walk down the hallway without looking back and into Meredith's room. I freeze as soon as I see Meredith looking so fragile and pale lying on the bed. She looks so small, and nothing like how she should look. I walk over slowly, still in shock and sit down in the empty visitor's chair beside her bed. April, Jackson, Amelia, Addison, Molly, and Laura were sitting on both of the couches on either side of the room. I slowly take her pale hand in mine, and squeeze it reassuringly.

"Where did you get paged to?" April asks, and I look up from Meredith.

"Zola and Sofia were upset because they wanted their parents," I answer. "So Callie and I decided to have a princess tea party to distract them from everything. They were both disappointed though that princess Derek couldn't make it, but they were glad that princess Alex could," I explain, and Addison and Amelia laugh.

"Princess Derek?" Addison says as she laughs along with Amelia.

"Well he's probably used to it due to the fact that he had four sisters who loved dressing him up," Amelia says, still laughing.

"Well he is McDreamy after all," Meredith says hoarsely, and I smile, happy that she is now awake. All of the sudden we hear a loud clatter and I look out to see that a nurse had knocked over a tray. I look back at Meredith who had shot straight up at the noise and is now hyperventilating and staring straight ahead.

"Meredith," I say as I put my hand on her back, but she just flinches away from me. "Mer," I say softly once again and she turns and looks at me. Tears start running down her cheeks, and I sit on the edge of her bed and allow her to cry into my shoulder.

"She's dead. It's my fault. She's dead. She saved me and now she's dead," Meredith murmurs so softly I can barely hear her, and I look at her confused.

"Who is?" I question softly, and she looks up at me, tears in her eyes.

"My person. The tree was falling on me, but she pushed me out of the way. The tree crushed her. It's all my fault. I should have moved out of the way. The tree was just falling so fast," she murmurs softly again. I sit there in silence, not sure how to react to this news. I wanted not to have to blink the tears back, because then everyone else will know something is wrong, and we should tell Hunt before we tell anyone else.

I can't believe that she is actually gone, that I will never see her again. She won't ever call me evil spawn again, or tease me about anything I do. She was one of my closest friends and now she is gone because this is stupid Seattle Grace Mercy Death hospital and no one can ever be happy. It takes me a few seconds to realize that I was unsuccessful in not crying as there are tears running down my cheeks. I try to blink them away without anyone else noticing, but by the concerned look on all their faces I can tell that it is too late. I quickly look down at my pager and page Hunt because I know they won't let me not tell them what I know.

"Molly?" Meredith questions, and Molly nods her head. "You must be Laura, how old are you now?" Meredith questions, shifting her attention to the little girl.

"I'm almost six!" the little girl says happily, and Meredith smiles at her.

"Wow, you're so grown up," Meredith comments and Laura nods her head.

"Yes, I'm a big girl now," Laura says proudly, as we hear a knock at the door before Hunt enters.

"Can everyone but Alex and Owen leave so I can talk to them?" Meredith asks, and everyone nods their head and exits the room.

"What's going on?" Hunt asks.

"She's gone," Meredith starts, and Hunt's face falls.

"How," he asks softly.

"There was that storm, and the piece of the plane we were taking cover under blew away. We all were moving away to a better place we could use for shelter. She was helping me because I couldn't really walk because there was a piece of the plane that I had pulled out of my leg. She had gone back to help Mark with Arizona, but the wind really picked up. There was this tree that was falling down right on top of me, but she pushed me out of the way. She ended up getting crushed by the tree after she saved me. She told me to tell you that she loves you and she's not mad at you for cheating on her anymore," Meredith rambles, tears running down her cheeks. Hunt looks broken upon hearing this as he starts to cry heavily. I exit the room quickly and make it to an on-call room and lock the door before I start to cry. I punch the wall, which really hurts but it felt good. I bury my head in a pillow as I start to cry even more. I really want to be there for Meredith right now, but I don't think I can. I'm not so good at dealing with grief myself, Meredith and I both normally bottle up our feelings, but one day we will both explode. I know that I have to convince Meredith that it's not her fault or she will be dealing with a boatload of guilt for the rest of her life. Meredith and Cristina were the twisted sisters and I was like their little twisted brother.