Survivors Still Standing Part 2

Ten Hours Later....

"Done," I say as I step away from the table after closing up Mark's head.

"Okay, well we can take him up to the ICU now for monitoring," Dr. Webber says. The two general surgeons had finished a while ago, but had stayed just in case anything happened.

"Do you think he'll wake up soon?" I question, worried that the amount of blood he lost may cause him to go into a coma.

"He lost a lot of blood, so we won't know until later," Dr. Bailey says softly, and I slowly nod my head. If he goes into a coma, that could later lead to brain death or organ failure, which would lead to death. I know I shouldn't automatically think of the worse thing that could possibly happen, but in situations like this it is hard not to. I just know that I can't be the one that is responsible for Mark's death; if I am Derek will probably blame me forever. Who am I trying to kid, I know for sure if Mark never wakes up Derek will blame me for his death and I will blame myself as well.

"Is the other patient still in surgery?" Dr. Webber asks, but neither Dr. Bailey nor I know the answer.

"Maybe we should just head up to the attending lounge, so we can tell the others who are there who the patient is," I suggest, and they both decide to do that as well. As they arrive at the attendings lounge I see a young woman who is holding her young daughter sleeping on her lap talking to Dr. Torres, and Addie. As we enter the room they look up at us, their anxiety flooding the room. They don't want it to be their loved one if it is bad news, but they do if it is good news. I look around the room expecting to see some of the other doctors, but they are the only ones in the room.

"Who was you patient?" Dr. Torres asks, looking up from her conversation with Addie and the woman.

"It was Mark, it was Mark," I say softly the first time, but my voice grows louder as I repeat myself.

"Oh god, he's okay isn't he. He has to be okay, he just has to be," Dr. Torres rambles before Addie puts a hand on her shoulder.

"How is he?" Addie asks, her voice quivering. I can tell she is trying to be strong for Dr. Torres, but I know her so well I can see right through her act. Mark, Derek, and her had kind of been the super three throughout the medical school and through the beginning of their residency before all the drama happened.

"He, uh lost a lot of blood, but we were able to repair the internal bleeding and lower the intracranial pressure. Though the amount of his brain activity is always a risk, along with the amount of blood he lost possibly leading him into a coma," Dr. Webber answers, and I see both Addie's and Dr. Torres's faces go even paler then they were before.

"Where is everyone else?" I question suddenly, my curiosity getting the better of me.

This time it isn't Dr. Torres, Addie, Dr. Bailey, or Dr. Webber who speaks up, but it is the young woman sitting on the couch. "Dr. Hunt is in his office because he had to go do something. Dr. Altman is still in her surgery from the skateboarding accident that she got pulled into. Dr. Kepner, Dr. Avery, and Dr. Karev went up to Meredith's room after taking Henry, Zola, and Sofia down to daycare," the woman says. I look at her, confused of who she is and how she knows all this. I am shocked to hear that the other patient is Meredith, but I'm happy that she is in her room because that means she is stable enough to not need to be in surgery currently.

"Um, who are you?" I ask tiredly, having no reservations about not coming across as friendly.

"Um, Molly Thompson...I'm Lexie's younger sister...and I um, I'm Meredith's half sister..." she rambles, and I realize that I must have made her nervous. I laugh suddenly as I realize that she rambles when she is nervous which is one of the traits that all of the Grey sisters share.

"You're definitely a Grey," I comment, and they all look at me strangely before Dr. Torres works out what I mean.

"You ramble when your nervous, just like Lexie and Meredith," Dr. Torres comments, and Molly nods her head slowly.

"Um, I guess," she says softly.

"How's Meredith," Dr. Webber questions, obviously worried about her.

"She's fine," Addie says.

"What type of fine; actually fine or Meredith fine?" Dr. Webber questions.

"She's stable. We fixed her internal bleeding, but we may need to go in for another surgery. The baby was fine, and we fixed sutured up a laceration on her leg and debrided her amputation and wrapped it in gauze to avoid infection. Her neurological side looks good, but it may be a good idea for Amelia to give her a neuro consult just in case anything comes up. Along the line we should also look to make sure she has developed any symptoms of PTSD," Addie informs us, and Dr. Webber nods his head solemnly while Dr. Bailey just stands there as the news sinks in. The baby, I forgot about the baby. I'm going to be an aunt again. I just hope Derek's all right because she is going to need him here, so he has to be okay. What happened to me can't happen to her, she's already been through enough.

Hi!

What does everyone think of my story so far? I know that I hadn't updated as soon as I had hoped, but I know that I will have more time now to write more hopefully. I promise that I will update the next section soon, because I have some ideas for what is going to happen next. If anyone was wondering in this story Teddy never got fired because Owen didn't get a chance before he heard about the plane crash. Some other characters will be added in soon :) I hope everyone is enjoying my story! 

Thanks!!!