When the World comes Crashing Down

Owen's POV

These two words cause my whole world to come crashing down around me. Cristina was my world, and now she's been taken away and I'm just left floating around in space. I watch as Alex runs out of the room, tears filling his eyes and Meredith who is crying, looking as broken as ever. I sit down slowly on Meredith's bed and wrap my arm around her and we both cry into the other's shoulder. We sit there until both of our eyes are unable to create any more tears, and then we just sit together staring at the wall, not knowing what to say to the other.

I remember the first time I saw Cristina, and I had kissed her. I knew from the first moment I saw her that I was going to fall for her no matter what. Then later that even when we fought and it had looked like it would have been the end of our relationship how we were for some reason we were always drawn back to each other. The last time I had kissed her was right before she had left to go on the plane, it was nothing much, just a quick peck on the lips. I never really got to say goodbye, the last thing I will have ever said to her was 'see you tonight', but now I wish that I had told her that I loved her. I guess she knew I did, but I wish I had gotten the chance to say it to her one last time. I want one more kiss, one more hug, and one more goodbye, one more everything.

"Is Mark still okay?" Meredith asks slowly in her broken voice.

"He may be in a coma, but he should be okay," I say, choosing not to lie to her because she deserves to know the truth.

"He needs to fight, but he may choose not to. He won't really want to live without her. Hopefully, he'll keep his promise, but that's up to him," Meredith mumbles, and I look up at her confused.

"We're the only survivors, the rest are gone," she says softly as she bursts into sobs. I just sit there in shock, not sure what to say or do. What would you say to a person who has just lost their sister, their person, and their husband? You can't say that you're sorry because that would be cruel; there really isn't anything you can say to that kind of loss.

A few minutes later Alex comes through the door his eyes red and his hand bloody from who knows what. Meredith immediately looks up as he had come through the door and had stopped sobbing and now there are tears running silently down her cheeks.

"Alex, what happened?" she asks with concern in her voice and Alex sighs.

"As soon as you're finally happy and think that you have your future planned out there always has to be some huge gust of wind that blows your plans away," he says angrily.

"Alex, calm down and let me fix your hand," Meredith says, but Alex just shakes his head and throws a vase across the room at the wall where it shatters into a thousand pieces.

"I'm done with Seattle Grace Mercy Death taking away everyone! First O'Malley died, then Izzie left, and then Rebecca was crazy, and Charles and Reed died, and now Cristina! Everyone is leaving or dying!" Alex says, and I can't help but agree with him more than he knows, as he doesn't know about Arizona, Derek, or Lexie yet. I look at Meredith who was startled by the loud noise that the vase made, her eyes now full of determination.

"It didn't take everything away, it also gave us things as well. This place has given you a family, one of the best ones you could have asked for. Sure its taken away George, Reed, Charles, Cristina, Lexie, Arizona, and Derek, but it gave you them as well," Meredith says, and Alex's head shoots up upon hearing the last three peoples' names.

"They're gone too?" he asks, his voice quivering, all the anger now is gone.

"Yeah, Mark and Meredith are the only survivors," I verify, and tears and guilt well up in Alex's eyes.

"I should have been on that plane, not Arizona. I would have rather been out there with my family so she could still be here with hers," he starts to ramble, but Meredith stops him.

"Arizona wanted me to tell you not to blame yourself and it's not your fault. It was her decision to get one that stupid plane not yours," Meredith says, but Alex shakes his head.

"It is my fault, no matter what it will always be mine," Alex said, as tears start falling out of his eyes and he sits down on the empty chair next to Meredith's bed and I sit back down in mine as well.

"You should probably go tell her mom," Meredith says to me and I nod my head, thinking about how I was going to break it to her mom that her only child was dead. I wasn't even sure that I could say it out loud without falling apart let alone explain to her mother what had happened.

"You don't have to tell her yet, you could ask her to come here so you could tell her in person and have more time to let the news sink in," Meredith suggests, giving my shoulder a gentle reassuring squeeze.

"Okay," I say, even though that's the last thing that I am. I don't really know how to go on, she was the most important thing to me in this entire world. I slowly walk out of Meredith's room and down the hall to the nearest on-call room so I could call her mom in private. I find her mom's contact in my phone right underneath Cristina's contact. I catch a glimpse of Cristina's contact photo and again there are knives digging into my heart at the realization that I'm never going to see her again. I quickly select her mom's phone number to distract my mind from this distressing realization. "Hello this is Owen Hunt, is this Helen Yang-Rubenstein?" I ask the voice on the other side of the phone.

"Yes this is she, is everything alright Owen?" she asks, and I can't think of a good answer to her question. How will anything be all right ever again while Cristina is gone never to breathe again?

Hi,

What does everyone think so far? I'm sorry that I haven't had a chance to update I've just been busy. Hopefully, I will be to update soon, I'm planning to. I hope you guys had a wonderful summer. This chapter was mostly about the news of Cristina's death sinking in for Owen and his feelings about, plus a little bit of the feeling that Alex and Meredith felt during all of this. Don't you worry though Alex's and everyone else's feelings about this are going to be expressed soon when they are told along with Meredith's of course? Well, I've got to go now!

See you later! Thanks for reading my story! :)