CHAPTER THIRTEEN

MORTAL REALM: TORLÊM

Ryan parked his car in the garage and killed the engine. He leaned back on the car seat and closed his eyes for a while. For once he wasn't looking forward to talking with Christi; his emotions were too unsettled.

Unfortunately she had no qualms about talking to him, as she gave his window a tap and looked at him in slight amusement. "You gonna sit there all day or are you going to come out and tell me how it went?"

Ryan groaned and opened the door. He came out and gave her a smile. "Nope."

"That bad huh?" She eyed him inquisitively, and Ryan could almost see the gears in that smart head of hers turning. "Well... Even if you don't tell me I'm still going to find out for myself," she said finally and turned to leave.

"Christi, wait!" He stopped her by grabbing her arm. "Please leave Helen out of this."

She eyed him curiously. "Who said anything about asking my granddaughter?"

He cursed silently and let her go. He'd fallen right where she wanted him. This was exactly why he didn't want to talk to her right now. Even now as he watched that intelligent gaze scrutinize him all he could think about were Helen's beautiful eyes.

"Now I'm worried. What happened today Ryan? And don't think you can excuse yourself out of this one either," she said with determination.

Ryan gazed at her fondly and sighed in defeat. Sometimes his affection for her could be a serious pain in his ass. "Fine. Come on let's go inside. I'll tell you what you want to know."

She smiled brightly at him and he groaned again inwardly. He didn't think she still be smiling at him this way if she knew what he was about to say. They left the garage together and walked to the house.

They'd barely made it to the living room when she attacked him. "Talk."

"Nothing bad happened today," he groaned and dropped down on the couch.

"Mhmm... So what has you all worked up then?"

He massaged his temples for a while with his finger tips and released a sigh. "You're not going to like it."

"I'll be the judge of that," she quipped dismissively.

"I- I think I'm attracted to Helen," he said quietly. The room was silent after his confession and Ryan wondered if Christi had heard him. He snuck a peek in her direction and saw her watching him intently.

"Define 'attracted' exactly," she probed as she tried to process the information she'd been given.

Ryan sighed again and leaned back to rest on the couch. "It means I'm developing feelings for her. And not the innocent kind either."

"Oh." She sat down on the sofa next to her and cleared her throat to keep her emotions in check. This was Ryan she was talking to - her best friend. She wanted to give him the benefit of a doubt before she came to any conclusions. "When did this start?" She asked carefully.

Ryan frowned, a bit offended at the slight reproach he heard in her voice. "I'm not sure exactly. But I think it was from the first time I met her on her birthday." Christi moved to comment but he stopped her with a raised finger. "I had no idea she was your granddaughter then. And when I did find out, I decided to keep my distance. But- "

"But?" She prompted impatiently.

He narrowed his eyes at her. "But I don't think I can. There's something pulling us together."

Christi rolled her eyes. "That's it. I don't care whatever drama you think is going on, but I'll advice you to keep your paws away from my Helen. I wanted you to protect her, I didn't expect that I'd be protecting her from you as well." She let out an exasperated sigh.

Ryan stood up from the couch. "You think I'm making this up?" He countered angrily. "I'll figure it out. But, I'm not going to stop protecting her; even if it's from myself."

Christi nodded and offered him an apology, but her worry remained. It wasn't like Ryan was no good for her granddaughter, in fact quite the opposite. She'd be doing him a great disservice if she said that. Ryan was one of the best men she'd ever known. But there in lay the problem; she knew him. He was an immortal prince. Being in a casual relationship with her granddaughter would only cause them both pain when he eventually found his mate or had to return to his realm. There was so much to consider and her heart hurt as she felt how worried her friend was through their bond.

What to do...?

MORTAL REALM: POLONIA

"Almethuis! 'Tis a pleasure to see you my friend," Reginald greeted with a warm smile on his face as he shook the other man's hand.

"As it is for me as well my King." He grinned wryly. "I only wish we could see each other more often under less dangerous circumstances."

Reginald laughed shortly and led him to his chambers. They sat at the table and a servant came forward to serve them wine.

"Leave us," he dismissed. And when he was sure of their privacy he faced the sorcerer. "So? What have the council decided?" He asked grimly.

"You and the princess will be sent to another realm. 'Tis the only way you can be protected for now. Until we find a way to locate the medallion for Diana's sake and ours as well."

He ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. "And when will this be happening? Do we have a destination in mind?"

"Yes. It would be best to send you both to a realm with as little magic as possible to make it difficult to track you across realms."

"Is that even possible?" He asked incredulously.

"Yes. It is for the bloodstone sisters," Almethuis said seriously. "The ritual to access the portal will be carried out tonight. You and your daughter must prepare yourselves to meet the council at the Sage garden by midnight."

Reginald drank deeply from his goblet. "I will inform Diana when she returns."

Almethuis rose from his seat and gave Reginald a bow. "I must take my leave now and relay your decision to our brethren. Please offer my regards to the princess." He began to dissipate. " See you tonight, my friend."