CHAPTER ONE

PRESENT TIME.........

MORTAL REALM: TÖRLÊM

  "Happy birthday, Sweetheart," Irene called out from the sitting room as her daughter came down the stairs.

  Helen grinned broadly flashing her dimpled cheeks, her svelte figure flattered by her green tank top and blue jeans. Her golden blonde hair was well combed and fell in natural waves at her back. Her peculiar aquamarine gaze gleamed in time with her smile showing her pleasure. She walked to the sitting room and gave her mother a hug. "Thanks, mom. Feels good to be eighteen."

  "You're welcome darling. Why don't you go on and have breakfast? I think Muriel made something special for you."

  Helen kissed her mother's cheek and headed for the dinning room. As she entered the room her cell phone rang."Hello?"

  "And how's my birthday girl?" A cheery voice rang out of the receiver.

  " Grandma!" Helen smiled and blew Muriel a kiss as she took her seat. "A good morning to you as well."

  "Oh, you smart aleck. A very happy birthday my love. I'm so sorry I can't make it to your party tonight."

  "Oh, no! That's terrible news!" She gasped dramatically in disappointment.

  "Ah, yes. I really am going to miss all that hippity-hop you youngsters like a lot," Christi said sighing wistfully.

  Helen giggled. "Thanks for calling Grandma. Don't forget to send me a gift!"

  "Of course not dear," she said cheerily. "I wouldn't dream of it. Goodbye love."

  "Bye Grandma. Love you."

  Helen hung up and focused on breakfast. As she ate, she poured praises on poor Muriel who began to turn red from her numerous blushes.

  When Irene came in to save her, by admonishing her daughter, Muriel waved her off and dotingly tagged Helen as a sweet thing.

  After breakfast She returned upstairs to her room; it was a Saturday - no  school. As she fell on her bed her phone rang again. She looked at the Caller ID and smiled. "Hi, Ronnie."

  "Hi, yourself. Happy Birthday girlfriend, and I hope you're ready to par-tay!"

  "I trust you've done me proud?"

  "Oh, you bet I have. Now all you have to do is show up looking gorgeous."

  "I always do." They spoke for a while longer before Helen chuckled and said goodbye to her best friend. She released a contented sigh. Her eighteenth year was looking promising - Little did she know that things were about to change... very soon...

MORTAL REALM: POLONIA

  THE SUN WAS HOT. The atmosphere so heated that some people worried the sun would come down on them all. Others didn't care. The spectators were so engrossed in shouting thier opinions on the fight that they missed the temperature around them.

Along with the enormous crowd, there were vendors selling all kinds of goods around the arena. Some of these merchandise included jewelry, fine fabrics, and exotic food items that looked mouthwatering; if not out of place considering the event which was taking place.

But there was one person who was not concerned with either the noise, heat or even the delicious food. He was only interested in the very bulky man who was deliberately losing the fight to his relatively smaller opponent.

  The younger man spun around with his sword and with a low slash cut his opponent across his abdomen, the king looked on with glee. He had told his servants to inform the duo in the ring that the winner would be eaten - when he intended to do the exact opposite. And just as he had suspected the large man was a coward and was letting his opponent win.

  The air around him suddenly rippled with power, drawing the king from his concentration. He frowned and glanced slightly behind him to clarify his suspicion. Gazar appeared behind him with his head bowed.

  "Gazar. What holds such import that it causes you to disturb me?"

  "Sire, I wanted to give voice to my suspicion that the appearance of the Orb of Destiny, may be connected to the resurfacing of the medallion of magic."

  "Hmm..." He considered pensively and faced him fully. "The rumoured saviour of Polonia may appear as well,"

  "Yes sire. The thought occured to me as well."

  "We cannot allow it Gazar. If we do, all our work will be for naught." He grimaced as memories of the past flashed through his mind. Even now fully healed, he always felt a phantom ache at the mention of the medallion and it's host. "We must get to the medallion before anyone else."

  Gazar bowed low in agreement. "As it pleases my liege. I shall begin my search immediately."

  The king grinned, impressed by his loyalty. "Go Gazar, you have my permission to take Aranet with you." He sniffed the air and the strong smell of blood reminded him of his hunger.

  He dismissed his second-in - command and tried to focus on his meal, still his mind strayed anxiously to the news Gazar had brought him. He had to find her soon. The more time he wasted, the more dangerous she became to him.

  His attention was once more drawn to the fight as he saw the large man being carried away from the arena. The younger man was being cheered on by the crowd, while all he got from the king's servants were pitying looks. The king chuckled as he rose to his feet. If only they knew. His grin in place and his mind on the feast to come he gave the final remarks that would close the events.

*** Hi everyone! I hope you've been entertained so far. If so please vote and comment, I'll gladly accept your views no matter what they may be. As you must have noticed this chapter plays between two different realms. That's just the additional spice from me to you. WARNING: This isn't the end of it. There'll be more realms to come along with more characters. Happy reading;-) ***