Chapter 1 - Velvet Crowe

A familiar scene covered the world. The blinding, hostile red hue - only birthed from the blood moon - shrouded a dense wood in dreadful darkness. Sparks and embers alike rose from the endless canopy of trees, created from a smoldering fire that had doused a small village in ash and cinders. This had not been accidental, as bandits dashed around - on horseback or on foot, ruthlessly cutting down the innocent inhabitants; laughing gleefully as buildings collapsed around them. Strangely, a few animalistic growls erupted from around the furious flames; several bandits shuddering in sudden pain and discomfort as bones crackled and morphed.

Far from the devastation, three people desperately sprinted away and into the overbearing woods. One of them was a tall and lean adult male, sporting a milky white ponytail, while two children ran behind him, seeking safety. The elder child firmly grasped the youngest's hand, her long black hair fumbling in a mess through the wind, while younger blonde boy's legs pushed to keep up.

'Ngh! They're already daemons,' the man thought to himself, beads of sweat easily showing off his anxiety.

A quick shout suddenly alerted him, as the two stumbled and lost their balance, falling roughly into the stone trench they ran through. Assessing the situation, the man did not hesitate to pick the exhausted two up, and rush off into the dense foliage. Coming upon a great oak with a wide berth that would be efficient for cover, the man hurriedly pushed them inside and began to instruct the oldest sibling. "You hide here, Velvet. I'm going back to help Celica," he explained, attempting to adopt a serious face for the two.

The black-haired girl, now known as 'Velvet', responded with a meek nervousness, "I'm so scared... Arthur, please..." she cried, struggling to peer into his icy blue eyes.

Reaching off to the side, Arthur allowed a comforting smile to spread across his face, as a fresh red apple weighed in his hand. "You'll be just fine with these," he stated, placing the fruit into her tiny palm, "Celica enchanted them herself. They'll give you the courage you need to survive." Arthur calmly said.

"They will?"

Grabbing another to place into the hands of the silent boy, he continued, "Sure they will. Now, have I ever lied to you?"

Velvet timidly shook her head, while her brother trembled at her side; tears welling up.

"I'll come back for you once Celica is safe." The man had his statement paused when the youngest child lunged into his arms, "It's scary, but don't give into fear," he sternly looked to the eldest, "Don't give in to fear. Don't despair... no matter what!"

"I won't. I promise," the child answered with suprising confidence, "After all, I'm Laphi's older sister and your student!"

Arthur smiled at her answer, and gently laid 'Laphi' back on the ground with a comforting gesture. Eventually, he stood up, and sprinted off into the wilderness in Celica's presumed direction.

Despite her earlier claims, Velvet and Laphi could not quell their heightened breathing as they peered out into the dark. The crimson glow was ominous, and amplified the terror of the intimidating trees and snake-like roots. It felt as if something would jump out at any moment from the skeletal flora.

Suddenly, a horrific feminine scream rang out.

Laphi's hazel eyes once again pooled with frightened tears, while Velvet looked out, as the scream was all too familiar. "Celica!?" she worriedly exclaimed, the two tiny figures stumbling out into the open trench. She stared outwards in the shout's direction, the boy joining her in their terrified gazes. Upon looking out, an abrupt glowing golden spiral shot out from afar, brimming in molten energy as it snaked towards the sky. Unfortunately, they had no time to comprehend it, as freakish groaning resonated from the dead foliage behind them. From the bushes, out limped one of the heartless and savage bandits that had ransacked their town. But, something was off.