Chapter 9 - Intuition

The chilling cascade of nature's force smothered the area in its frozen grip, gentle flakes of ice implanting unnoticeable marks across the rocky environment, as swaying winds sweeped a glacial blanket into the mard horizon. Torn and crooked sails flapped in the biting force, while calm seas lapped against the ship's devastated hull. A trio of bodies lay silently on the crisp ground, the loving ruffle of the environment and mild crackle of feet on ice doing nothing to disturb their rest from the once volatile storm that had flung them there.

Until, the soothing warmth of a healing arte and its viridescent gleam rung the ravenette's mind from unconsciousness. A young boy, adorned in the noble white he had long gotten used to - head splayed with golden locks and lifeless green eyes - crouched over her fallen form. She couldn't help but feel that familiar image slide over her vision; disrupting the reality she had seen. "Laphi...cet?" the daemon murmured dimly, pupils sunken with haze while her eyelids weighed heavily. The innocent visage faded away soon enough, as she quickly analysed the figure before her. "A malak?!"

The malak jumped up in surprise, and attempted to dash off with an ornamental object in his hands; a golden compass. However, as his small feet tapped against the ground rapidly, a sudden interjection disrupted his escape. A great feral werewolf stomped towards him, fangs bared in aggressive craving, and crimson eyes that tracked him wildly. As it approached, it crushed a unusual mass of wood that had been circled on the snowy rock. It paid no attention, and continued its prowl over the young malakhim.

Despite being a stranger, a form of untamed hair that contrasted the bleached blanket whipped in front of him protectively, arms laid out for combat. "Stay back!" Velvet ordered, as another scent of gloom appeared overhead; the shriek of a bird signalling its attack. A diving mist of darkness sang towards her, the eagle-like daemon cawing in earnest, until she span with a twisting kick that sent it flailing into a mass of white. The bird struggled and cried out, its wing having been severed by her unseen blade. Sighting her turned back for a moment, the other beast snarled and pounced right over to its prey, overcome by untempered hunger.

"DEVOUR!" the monster roared in volatile wrath.

Slash!

The pulsating appendage reeled around as it burst from its reins, as Velvet yelled out with a cleave, tearing her claw right through its heaving chest and rendering it into a gory mess. A part of her enjoyed the gouging of flesh and wrenching apart of its ribcage, but she shovelled the morbid curiosity down, and pounced towards the downed daemon. Her ravenous limb sprung towards the meal, grasping its lifeless carcass as its serrations tore it apart hungrily. The veins pumped brightly as the arm devoured its flesh, while Velvet stared onwards, uncaring of the eruption of ivory as the miasma succumbed to the ingestion; the body falling apart at the seams as the daemonblight vanished.

"My word, a daemon-muncher! You really ARE a box of horrors, aren't you," a mock voice exclaimed from behind. Velvet didn't bother looking to catch a glimpse of the grinning witch to spare her sanity.

A set of footsteps approached with a steady crunch in the surrounding snow. "Sorry, if I had a weapon I would have helped, I promise." The samurai stood behind the leftover human corpse on the ground, a sincere tone in his voice despite the obvious blade stored across his back.

Velvet turned to stare with a disbelieving look in her eyes. "You're wearing one."

"Oh, nah. I can't use this." The daemoness raised an irritated brow. "Sorry, long story--"

"And the child?" She asked exasperatedly, cutting off Rokurou's petty reasoning. While she did, the daemon stalked over to the writhing bird that had quietened to hostile whimpers.