Chapter 36 - Black Roses

Through misted and yellowed glass panes did the sun's beams glower, flooding the basil-coloured room with its iridescent light to highlight wafting flecks of dust. Blonde matted upon a pillow - the hardness of its feathered inside providing at least decent comfort - rose with a steady blink, rubbing away the weariness from tired green eyes. Laphicet's legs skirted the worn but welcoming mattress and planted at creaky floorboards, until the boy's vision climbed, and saw the rough and waiting dark silhouette leant against the closed doorway.

"You're finally up."

Velvet's arms unfastened from their crossed position as her foot pushed off from the frame, hand sat expectedly on hip.

"I'm sorry..." the young malak's apologetic mutter came again, seemingly shameful of his lazing state.

"Don't worry about it," the daemon said as her steps clicked close, "Getting sleepy or hungry is just a natural part of life. Besides... something else held me up anyway." A sigh trickled out when the boy's hesitant recline came in response to her approach. "...I won't eat you," Velvet promised tiredly.

"What about your wounds? Feeling pain... that's also natural, right?"

Posture arching slightly, the ravenette recalled the burning incision marred deep into her back, with a finger subconsciously tracing the scar now laced over cheek. "I'm fine. It was nothing."

"You're really tough, aren't you, Velvet."

"You have to be tough, if what you seek is revenge." Her words were low, full of grit as the golden stare bore off to the wall aside.

"Revenge?"

Velvet's composure steadied again, snapping back to the stoic and serious demeanour once more. "We're leaving," she ordered, turning on heel to grip the door handle as the boy jumped out of bed still wearing his malakhim robes. "Rokurou and the others should still be in the plaza."

Passing through the crowd of merry and lavish drunkards that filled the pleasant Inn, Velvet and Laphicet stepped through the entryway to the sight of the piercing horizon: sky blue reigning above and puffed with innocent white clouds. Before them, the same flowing fountain's current bubbled along into its reservoir. And the first to greet the emerging pair out of the assorted group ahead, was one of vivid colour and pompous vibrancy in voice.

"Ah! What a joy to face a clear, refreshing morning," Magilou gleefully stated with a dramatic stretch. "Especially after a long night of meting punishment on my heartless betrayer!" As the Witch's pleasant expression morphed into that of a devilish grin, the exhausted flapping of wings and drooping tears neared.

"Bieeeeen! My poor, battered body..." the bopping normin cried desperately, sinking to the stained cobble.

"You better not kill our key," Velvet warned with narrowed eyes.

"You're one to talk. Better not eat the boy, he's your precious key now!"

Her vision zipped to the side, stopping at the completely ignorant face enshrouded with golden tufts. "I know."

As the Therion's face had turned to the side, it had unfortunately given the scouring Witch full view of the scar burned into its sliced place: light binding the wounded skin for the jester's fiendish eyes to see. Magilou gasped, her melodramatic movement bringing attention back as she passed a palm to open mouth, "Oh my! What is this!" she sang, a finger almost prodding the healed incision, "It seems that the dog has bitten back~." Fed up of the Witch's antics, Magilou's haughty giggle was brought to a stop as the daemon grabbed the pointed finger and bent it back with ease - narrowing a sprain as the girl's rapid "ow's" slipped forth.