Chapter 27 - Incursion

"An inspection!"

"They won't inspect everyone, just act natural."

As the pure and soothing breeze washed over and along the fading path of Danann Highway, a natural commotion of flowing merchants poured in and out of the overarching city gates. Steady and orderly, the journeying sailors marched through and both departed nervously; the strict watch of the surveying guardsmen casually checking over the monotonous cycle.

And from just over the peaceful ridge, trodded the sinful menagerie with stark eyes honed in on the scouring entrapment of Loegres' entrance. Stalking over the worn tracks that cemented the dirt path, the group approached within sight of the guardsmen; their carefully carved steel on display while the unknown misfits were silently evaluated. Either way, the soldiers made no drastic reaction, and allowed them to etch closer, the faces of all remaining relaxed and composed. Mostly.

"Your face is all stiff," the Samurai chuckled quietly as he ambled past the stern frown of a grumbling daemoness.

"I know." Velvet growled lowly at the warrior, letting a casual sigh seep out and attempted to release the constant tension engorged upon her figure. At the front of the pack this time, was a meandering Eizen, who strolled onwards with confident ease. One by one, the guardsmen ahead paid the travellers no mind as each one strode past. The stern but knowledgeable look of an experienced sailor, here for the merchants. A decorated kimono and calcite blades, merely a searching ronin. The shimmering flap of white, amber and crimson with an ornate weapon at the hip, a wandering swordsman; perhaps an exorcist with the young and blank-faced boy at his side. Even the pompous mess of colour strolling past was no different, perhaps here for a stage performance.

However, the guardsman raised a palm to hush the civilian child he was conversing with, eyes cast under the gleaming helm narrowed upon the vacant, dangerous shuffle of a poorly-dressed woman scantily clad in ripped black and vermillion. As the folding tendrils of onyx - tied back into a thin bandage as a hair-band - swept past the once thought occupied soldier, he shifted on his feet as the group stepped through the grand standing gates of the Empire's Jewel.

As their boots brushed upon cobbled roads, the cawing of soaring birds above fell short of the wall created by the conversation of the masses. Throughout winding streets - the cosy structures and rising buildings acted akin to rocks of a river - flowing residents and stalls a many parting among the palatial properties surrounding. However, as the crew passed over the road, seconds away from steeping out of the inspection's reach, a commanding voice warningly reached Velvet's ears.

"You, in the black coat. Show me your documentation."

She cursed under her breath, and the air went still. Even as the daily stream of lives at their sides continued on, the group could feel the urgency rise as if their anchor was caught. The daemoness in disguise turned, holding her impassive expression as the guardsman stared on expectedly. "Uh... um..." she blankly mumbled out, passively patting down knowingly empty pockets while her mind franticly clambered for an answer. At the back, the crew remained still as to not draw attention, but the suspicion centred upon their undisputed leader was giving dregs of ire to some. While their malakhim pirate casually flicked his coin up and down, the young boy shuffling worriedly, and the roving eyes of indigo zipped over any swappable spares to utilise; each member was drawing up a blank. And the soldier only grew more agitated with each passing second.

"Well? Your travel permit from the Abbey. Where is it?" he demanded firmly, crossing his arms warily with every moment running by. Eventually, the group did turn, the direness too high to ignore, but still remained without answer. Until, a fiendish grin split over Magilou's face.

Thwack!

 Velvet felt a fist bonk the back of her head akin to an act of discipline, and she looked up with a scowl to see the bubbling Witch prance about with an obviously ridiculing plan in mind. "Foolish girl! How many times have I told you? A magician's apprentice must wear a pleasant grin," the 'Magician' acted out with a taunting and telling finger. Velvet spared a disbelieving look to the posing raspberry, shifting a hand upon her hip as the daemon felt a rumbling headache already begin to sprout. The group was not far off, with a collection of narrowly unheard sighs and gestures of incredulity, even a passing 'oh no...' was mumbled under a facepalm of the half-breed.