Chapter 24 - Duality

Clash!

With viscereal, unsuspecting impact, the blade darted out from the black with singing speed: smashing the deathly still weapon from its steadfast interrogation and freeing the backed up survivor from the possible final corner. Even the great black wolf did not expect her target to strike back and act on the chilling threat. At the cry of the wind's chorus and the eruption of steel, Velvet opted to retreat for ground by flipping backwards out of reach; valuable time to observe this newfound threat.

Finding balance upon the rocking floorboards proved simple as the storm rallied at the explosion of violent movement; cloak bristling to the savage notes of nature. She glared ahead with unbridled agitation, but no less uncovering slight respect for the half-malak's eventual defiance, teeth almost to bare with dancing shadows from the rain's torrent.

Slipped from swaying material at his waist, did Sarid draw concealed steel remaining in its oriental scabbard; thick and rectangular in sleek ebony wood and decored at the top of its width with aureate winding branches. Deep within where the blade stayed nestled, was a crimson lining that honed in on the sword's splendid craftsmanship. Sneering, the daemon could tell the weapon he had suddenly obtained was no standard blade; love and care poured into every smelting crevice for one single user.

He then spoke, and the tone merely whispered the dregs of his insurmountable, inward change; "I'll give you what you want, doesn't matter if I lose, I'm not your baggage anymore." Sarid's expression was unflinching yet wary, persistent and determined while he - even still - could sense the danger of his choice. No more words were necessary, both knew what would soon occur. Both knew, this was a long time coming.

Velvet's wrist-blade sank back into her glossy gauntlet, the steel zipping away as she began to lower her stature; bent knees and tensely spread arms invoking a keen sense of dread at her imminent pouncing. The daemon's eyes flashed dangerously, before the man rested a palm on the hilt of this mysterious weapon. A deep breath, feeling the blighted and corrupted scent of the ocean sink into lungs, and rapidly bursting out in a sudden dry and sharp splutter onto the back of his hand. Sarid did not react, and let a melancholic sigh wisp from between parched lips, and at last for the second time in his tormented life; brandished his blade to arms against the Lord of Calamity.

Shing!

Brilliant metal stung the air with a ringing tune, slicing through the storm's rage with a beautiful melody - and a warning. With its deadly song of arrival that could command and reprise the gales, the half-malak whipped his blade through droplet-racked skies in practiced motion, settling it out flat before him; casting its edge underneath his sharp stare of lavender.

Under the glare of moonlight, was it unveiled: a Jian style sword modified and refined to fit the necessary needs of its special wielder. A semi-circular, curved cross-guard bent towards the blade; thick with efficient protection of the user's hand, and contrasting the thin yet comfortable hilt wrapped in maroon cloth belying the artistic pommel of twisted, red-berried branches. Tied to one singular formation, was a silver pendant depicting a gleaming yin and yang symbol. Sprouting from around the very cross-guard, were more intricate coiling wood that seemed to grasp the ricasso of this ancient weapon, leading onto the blackened fuller of the blade itself and the shining, metal edges surrounding it.

"A fancy new sword won't save you..." Velvet growled dismissively, dryly writing off the seemingly worthless ornamental design with an unimpressed stare.

Sarid blinked wordlessly, cool and calm in the centre of this tense stand-off. He would not display his worries or fear, for courage is crafted from overcoming and refined through consistency. "Never been one for style, have you wolfy?" An eye roll sided with a disgruntled sigh was the only response.