Chapter 32 - Cataphiles

Steel clicking out among the darkness, Velvet's monotonous shuffling sounded out through the howling winds of the Jewel's peaceful night. Akin to gleaming stones of an isolated cavern, the stars above shone, with the gentle and soothing trickle of water pouring at a fountain's tip. Creaking closed, the door at her heel swung, and she remained the final member to emerge from the safety of this cozy, comfortable tavern.

With a shrill gasp and frightened hop, the mop of delicate blonde and whitened tips slipped behind the billowing cloak of the watching half-malak, who which looked on with cautious understanding. Refraining from commenting upon the young boy's skittish acts, the daemoness' gaze sunk away in an expression of sorrow, as the subconscious touch of her palm to grip a bandaged wrist came to pass. To make the rising tension ever worse, in the midst of Velvet's calloused show of shame, that sinful and sharp voice pinged her senses; like a colourful buzzing fly.

"Heh heh. Good thing I showed up in time," the Witch playfully belittled, smirking deviously at the scrunching of the daemon's features.

"Don't tell me you're coming too," the woman said with a defeated sigh of despair, pained realisation dawning as the magician childishly skipped about.

"Sojourn alongside the gloomy daemon-lady, and the exorcist controlling Bienfu is sure to appear!" A wonderous display of her dramatic antics ensued, and not one of the watching group could say they were pleased about this undeserved comeuppance. "I told my own fortune, and there it was!"

Stifled at Magilou's extravagant display of - expectant - deception, the Samurai grinned, "Do your fortunes actually hold water?"

"I've been in the castle before, you know. 'How useful to have Magilou along,' they said it the future."

"...Like a bucket with several holes in it." Sarid's clear show of dispassion rung the Witch's clearly disingenuous display. "Any room for anything else in there? Or -- are you just going to berate us along the way?"

"I'm not sure you would like to hear my fortune for that," she sang with relaxed arms, much to the displeasure and growing headache of all who stood.

"Get in my way, and I'll give you the boot." As the vibrant jester slunk away with a grin from this threatening growl, the atmosphere reigned heavy, and the Reaper stepped forth.

"It's the viper's nest. They're always watching."

"Yes, but therein lie shadows, too. Let's look for someone with a red scarf." At the scornful lady's order, the diverse cast formed up under the veil of malicious dark, and ventured into the city's winding streets, in search of a signifier to spark the beginning of their mission.

~~~

To cut through the seemingly unending silent of this calamitous night, the gradual steps of those who wondered its ghostly walls clacked under another great archway; the imposing silhouette of the royal villa ahead, blackened shape encircled this gleaming speckled blanket of kinly shadows. And, dotting this decored and lit courtyard that belied its fortuitous gates, were the ever immovable guardsmen. However, entrapped to wound around their necks, was a distinct crimson scarf that stood out on this lonely walk. Each one paid no mind to the crew's suspicious trek, and it soon became clear how the guild remained resilent and hidden in these dictatorial times.

The many soldiers, once thought loyal to the people, were faithful spies tied onto the very roots of this grand Capital.

Nonetheless, their reoccurring lines were abruptly broken, and the surveying misfits noticed one in particular stalking in wait behind the flourishing bushes. Velvet was first, venturing over with a knowing look, until he held out his armoured palm. "Let's see your papers," he mysteriously demanded, and the woman didn't hesitate to pass over the insignia of this fiendish guild. Eyes roved briefly upon the gilded symbol with garnered scarlet, and the soldier immediately passed the booklet back with an accepting nod. "Checks out." Metallic sheaves shifted from over a particular pothole, and the voice echoed out again; "This tunnel over here connects to the castle. It should put you inside the villa."