Chapter 14.5 - Unveil

Fire. The serene Boreal was doused in violent flames, cast over its sloping roofing of rubble like a blanket ablaze. The slick scent of heavy iron was doused upon the shrill winds, and the singed flesh of the innocent permeated peaceful air that was steadily drawn out by the sea of hatred. Claw marks; scarred along the snaking paths and warm buildings as if they were footprints of a beast. And there she stood, on a wide berth with icy eyes of simmering rage boring out into the writhing ocean. Lightning cracked the sky like glass, as her withering crimson orbs that stared - drunken deep in the forbidden blood - right towards the inescapable future while trapped in the past. The ghostly silence of the city she left in ruins hovered hefty on her shoulders, a knowing presence of karma tapping her side with its crooked fingers.

She brushed off its enthralling touch of promise, with a burdened limb of blackness; human in shape but poised with claws of a monster, unchained by the mental constraints once exacted upon. Embers of isolation latched onto her limbs like cuffs, and she didn't struggle in its fierce hold, before whipping around and stomping through ivory-ridden debris of a life so alien.

"Hey."

A stern voice of grit murmured from behind him, while the speaker waited patiently for him to lose grip on their past actions. Sarid shook his head free of the vision wrapping his mind, and went back to settling his gaze on the dot that steadily sank on the horizon. Feelings weighed down by the dirtied hands of innocent blood, he could do nothing but wallow as he cast his conscious into an ocean of self-blame. The half-malak had long heard the creaking of metal upon wood at her approach, but his body failed to move; locked onto the ruined city he left behind.

Velvet sighed in exasperation as she lent against the side of the bow, minute patience running thin as her finger rapped her bicep in meticulous tandem. The sea sang its song for the duo who were perched at the deck, the waters sloshing its being across the hull like a celebratory drink. Until, the sun began sinking across the hued sky with a dispersing sigh, casting a beautiful marble across the naive reflection it borrowed. Even through the somewhat comfortable atmosphere; there was an underlying tensity where both knew they had questions to ask, and so the gifted sight was undeserving. Aloof and conflicted with two sides she pulled together from the seams, Velvet made no attempt to begin; enraptured by the sickening sight nature forced to toil with her blackened heart. Soon enough, the chill of the night signalled the end of her patience, and a tch came from her mouth as she spun on her heel.

"...Why have we done this?" the half-malak began with a shaky breath - turning to face the halted ally - finding it difficult to level his azure irises at the ravenette wreathed in crimson and darkness, who soon stared back with that unreadable steely gold. It made him uneasy.

The daemon's mind flashed with the memories, recalling the destruction as Hellewas fell into a blaze of chaos and mayhem; a cacophony of screams aiming to reach the heavens as rubble crushed, smashed and trapped countless families in the hounds of fire that grew ravenous. The ones she brought to their end through the devouring of flesh were lucky, however the riddles of vermillion staining the pathways would forever mark the lives of those who remained. "You know why," she cut down with a bite in her tone, "We needed a ship." Velvet crossed her arms, while the half-malak - still indecisive in their actions - clenched his fist with anguish.

"We destroyed a town. Ruined the life of everyone who remained, and then-!" Sarid choked on his words, before slamming his fist against the railing. "We- no, I bombed the town, killing countless innocents for the sake of a distraction." The half-malak's expression clenched with upmost sorrow, his mind still in the midst of a storm of confusion. "And I don't even know how," he admitted with a despairing lift of his arms. With a cough, he peeled his sight away from the woman who faced him; settling upon the falling remnants of light that sunk below the enveloping sea.