♯ 𝟭𝟱 a terribly boring event

✸  ANYONE ELSE
chapter fifteen ━━ a terribly boring event

✸  ANYONE ELSEchapter fifteen ━━ a terribly boring event

SITTING AT THE local debutant ball wasn't Julie's ideal idea of an evening

SITTING AT THE local debutant ball wasn't Julie's ideal idea of an evening. If she had had the choice, she wouldn't be sitting in a scratchy dress, watching people get to stand on the scene filled with the nerves of messing up, exactly as she had done the year before. She would much rather sit at home, where the music wasn't as loud and the lights not as bright. She couldn't stand it, but she was doing it for Belly.

Steven was sitting next to her, trying to stop staring at her. The blue colour of her dress matched her eyes, bringing out the colour even more. Her hair was was pulled away in a braid, but the blonde's nervous habit of running her hand through the hair had almost ruined it already. Still, he couldn't help but be starstruck by her beauty.

Laurel and Susannah were sitting on the other side of the table, whispering among themselves while staring at the girl who was currently standing on the stage—probably gossiping about the poor girl's family.

Belly wasn't on until later, so Jeremiah, who was her escort, were still sitting at the table with them in slouched position next to Conrad, who looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here. Julie couldn't have agreed more.

"Try looking like you actually want to be here," Steven whispered from next to her, causing her to let out a huff of air.

"I don't want to be here." She grunted.

He let out a small laugh as he answered her. "Don't let anyone hear you say that,"

"If you had been through what I have been through, you wouldn't be joking about this," She narrowed her eyes at him slightly.

"Oh, yeah," he laughed at her facial expression. "I forgot you did this last year,"

She let out a irritated sound, clearly not impressed with his attempt to be funny.

"Who did you go with again?" He laughed again, causing her to turn away from him. "It was Dickie, right?" He teased her. "You went with Dickie!"

"Stop! It's not funny!" She tried to keep a straight face, but couldn't contain the smile on her face as she thought back her debutant ball, where she, indeed, went with a guy called Dickie.

He was a total jerk, but he had somehow charmed his way into her stupid heart, and in her desperation to get a date, she had agreed to let him take her.

It turned out to be a really bad decision, as Conrad and Jeremiah had spent the whole evening making fun of him for being with their sister, causing him to leave before the ball was even over, and she hadn't heard from him since.

"Well, you didn't want to take me," She smiled smugly at him. "What's your excuse, stupid?"

"You were younger! It's not cool to hang with younger girls!" He tried to defend himself. "Plus, Con and Jere would have teased me for it endlessly,"

She let out a laugh at his words.

"It's not cool to hang with younger girls," she raised her voice to mock him. "Who even says things like that." The amusement was clear in her voice.

"Shut up." He playfully glared at her, but it broke into a smile when he watched the smile on her face. He had succeeded in making her at least a bit less bored at this terribly boring event.

The two teens kept eye contact after that, taking in each other's features. A small smile graced Steven's lips as he looked at the beautiful girl sitting in front of him.

She kept tucking the loose hair, that had fallen from her braid, behind her ear. Her dress had a small spot on the knee from a bit of chocolate. It didn't ruin her look, though. Nothing could make her less beautiful.

"Belly's up next!"

They got pulled out of their moment by Susannah leaning forward in her seat to make sure that they watched Isabel's entrance.

"Look at her," Laurel had tears forming in her eyes as she looked at her daughter. "My beautiful little girl."

"Isabel Conklin, daughter of John Conklin and Laurel Park," The announcer started, "A student at Chesterbrook High School, where she is the captain of the Varsity Volleyball team."

People clapped loudly as Belly made her way to the stage, Jeremiah right next to her.

Julie could see Conrad tense slightly at the sight of the two, and she had to keep herself from smiling.

Maybe this night wouldn't be so bad after all?

If only she had known.

edited

✸ edited ✸