♯ 𝟮𝟯 be strong

✸  ANYONE ELSE
chapter twenty-three ━━ be strong

✸  ANYONE ELSEchapter twenty-three ━━ be strong

          "WHAT ARE YOU doing here?"

Conrad didn't seem pleased to find his two younger siblings—accompanied by Steven Conklin—standing in the doorway of their beloved beach house.

"I think the real question is, what are you doing here, Conrad." Jeremiah was quick to respond as he took an aggressive step forward. "You were supposed to be studying for your finals."

"To hell with finals!" Conrad exclaimed. "The house has been put up for sale, guys" His voice quieted down as he looked between his siblings.

"So this is why you've been ignoring me? Not answering any of my calls," Julie took a step forward and Conrad's eyes softened for a moment. Only for a moment.

"Look, that doesn't matter. We're losing the house. Mum's house,"

"It does matter! I was worried sick, Con. I thought something had happened to you! I thought—"

Steven cut off the argument between the two siblings by placing a comforting hand on Julie's right shoulder. "Nothing happened to him," he said as he gave her shoulder a soft squeeze.

"Why would your dad sell this place?" He asked, this time directed towards Conrad.

"It's not our dad," Conrad said. "It's our aunt Julia." He sighed loudly. "Apparently, the house belonged to the both of them, and now—" He took a deep breath. "—it's all her's."

"Then let's call dad!" Jeremiah exclaimed. "Let him figure it out. He can buy it!"

"He doesn't have the money, Jere!"

The two brothers continued to shout at one another while Julie just stood there, lost in thought.

The house was up for sale. The beach house. Their mum's favourite place in the entire world.

Behind her, Steven was completely nailed to the ground as well. He felt like he was intruding on something private. He had never seen the two boys fight like that. They usually never fought at all.