Chapter 16: The Execution

People were gathering at the town square, wanting to witness the death's of former duke Roger Alpheus, his heir Ijekiel Alpheus and the self proclaimed daughter of the emperor Jenette Margarita.

The death that the emperor chose was a slow and painful death by being burned alive. The three prisoners were already tied to a wood pole and all that's left to do is to burn them. Claude and Vie were present but what surprised the two is that Diana insisted to see the execution.

Claude urged his wife to stay in the palace with their daughter. He did not want her to see such a gruesome sight. However she told him that it was necessary for her to be there since she is the empress. She also told him that she wants to see them being burned as an assurance to her that no one would dare question their daughter's legitimacy ever again.

Claude just sighed and agreed with his wife while Vie on the other hand was proud of how far her good sister had come. From being a naive and easily trusting woman to a wise and kind empress that has steel as her back bone. Claude stood up from his throne and addressed the crowd.

"People of Obelia we are here to witness the deaths of these treasonous bastards. They have tried to tamper with the empires line of succession as well as speak ill of the crown princess." Claude announced to the people and the entire crowd roared in outrage.

"HOW DARE THEY INSULT THE PRINCESS!"

"BURN THESE ASSHOLES TO THE GROUND!"

"JUSTICE FOR THE CROWN PRINCESS!"

Roger has not stopped pleading for his life but it fell on deaf ears. His son on the other hand had long accepted his death. He knew that what they tried to do could get them killed and it did. Jenette on the other hand was hysterical.

"Father please stop this nonsense, I'm your daughter, your first born the child of your lovely fiance. I should be beside you along with mother. Not that whore you call wife and that wretched bastard of a bitch you call daughter." Jenette begged his father but it only infuriated Claude while Diana was ready to throw hands.

Vie on the other hand has lost her patience and snapped her fingers. Fire immediately ignited on the hay below the traitors feet's. The people shouted hurray's and praises for the empress and the crown princess.

"JUSTICE FOR THE EMPRESS!"

"JUSTICE FOR THE CROWN PRINCESS!"

"LONG LIVE THE EMPRESS!"

"LONG LIVE CROWN PRINCESS ATHANASIA!"

"LONG LIVE HIS MAJESTY EMPEROR CLAUDE!"

"BLESSINGS UPON THE OBELIAN FAMILY!"

Vie smiled happy and elated that the people supported her family. It also pleased her that the nobility will be tamed by these turn of events. No one makes a mockery of her family and get's away with it. After the execution the royal family returned to the palace Diana and Vie went to their respected offices while Claude told the two women that he had to take a little detour.

The two women knew where he was heading but decided not to mention it and just gave him a brief hug. When he arrived at the Emerald Palace he asked the maids where his daughter was and they told her that she was in her office. After the debutante Claude and Diana deemed it that Athy was finally ready to assume her responsibilities.

Of course they don't want to overwhelm their little girl so they only gave her precedence over the budgets of the Emerald and Ruby Palace's. The Ruby palace used to be a concubines residence was now turned into a guest residence for diplomats and foreign guest's.

It was reconstructed thanks to the persistence of the crown princess as well as the empress. Claude can't help but be proud of her daughter's wisdom and sharp mind. She truly was becoming a good, wise and benevolent empress regnant in the making.

Claude stood in front of Athanasia's office and knocked. When he heard his daughter say come in he opened the door and closed it behind him. He saw his daughter busy looking over papers and signing them.

"Look at you it was only yesterday when you use to play dolls and toys. Now I see a grown teenage princess assuming her responsibilites. You make me proud Athy." Claude monologue to his daughter.

Athy smuled and looked up he saw her father standing there with a huge smile on his face.

"Daddy!" Athy exclaimed and ran up to her father and gave him a hug.

"I hope your not over working yourself, I don't want you to collapse because of stress." Claude said to his daughter which made the girl raise her eyebrow.

"Speak for yourself dad, you always overwork yourself that's why mom and auntie always pinch your ears or drag you out of your cave you call office." Athy sassily answered her father.

"Alright you got me, I just came here to tell you that those traitors are no more and they won't jeopardize your safety as well as that of your mother and aunt any longer." Claude told Athy while caressing her hair.

Athy beamed and gave her father a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you daddy I was worried that I have to lose your attention and love when Jenette was introduce." Claude frowned when he heard his daughter say that.

"Never doubt my love for you Athy. I only have one daughter and only one child and that's you. Unless you split into two or get another sibling from your mother I will not accept any other daughter apart from you." Athy grinned when she heard her father say that.

"Thank you papa that eased my worries. As much as I would love to spend time with you I really need to work on those papers over there." Athy told her father.

"Alright I'll get out of your way. See you at dinner." Claude kissed her daughter's forehead and left her office.

However before he could close the door he told him something that made him chuckle.

"And papa I really want a baby brother or sister, so you better be working on that with mama."