Chapter 5:Chemistry is where reactions happen

Dia

I walk into chemistry class with my ankle brace annoying me. The ankle braces should be more comfortable than anything else. I see Zak sitting at the chemistry table where Magen and I normally sit, he is sitting in Magen's desk. I look for Megan, but it does not seem like she has arrived at class yet or maybe even school. Maybe something came up. I pull my phone out of my school skirt. The school uniform needs to be updates, it is outdated. The colours are white and blue- it does not compliment my skin tone one bit.

I get to my desk; the teacher does not seem to be in the class yet. I take my seat, leaving my bag at my foot and open my phone.

Me: Hey, Magen. Are you okay?

I put my phone in front of me and take my pencil case and chemistry book out of my bag. I put them next to my phone on the table, trying to keep to my side of the table.

"I saw you boxing yesterday," Zak speaks from the side of me.

"Stalking me, now Harandas?" I question, shooting him a grimace. His checks go a light red but not pink.

"No, my brother took me there," Zak speaks, Zak's brother is a concerta addict. Blake is his supplier, but he always seems to pay late for his drugs. Blake's friends love who beating him up, I wonder if Zak knowns about it.

Blake is the guy who helped me yesterday- when my foot was injured.

"Yeah, and it has nothing to do with you being my chemistry partner," I mess around with him, his face turns a darker shade of red.

"No, just," he takes a pause, "you were great," he says, turning to where I can't see his face.

"You seem pretty good with your feet," he compliments me, his hand is over his mouth and the other hand is him doodling on a piece of blank paper in his chemistry book. I was too busy looking at his facial expressions, I did not see him opening his book.

"Thanks, I'm pretty popular with the girls and guys," I inform him, a bigger smile spreads through my face.

His face does not go red from my comment, I do not think he understands what I mean. He is perfect and innocent, the perfect child my biological father wanted but left behind.

Guess there is another reason to hate Zak, he is the child my father wanted, perfect grades, perfect at sports and innocent. No mind demons waiting to drag me back to the darkest parts of my mind.

"We need to talk about our studying and being partners," Zak changes the topic after the teacher walks in with his laptop.

"Today, you guys will read page two dash eight to two dash eleven. I want to see the notes both partners have taken. We might be using the notes you guys take for helping some of you guys make your marks higher," Sir speaks from in front of the board.

"Let me guess, you need to take notes," Zak speaks form the side of me.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I question him. He moves closer to his lips just above my ear.

"You need the extra grades," he makes an assumption.

"It is none of your business," I turn around, where did he find the audacity? Last time he was practically shitting his pants. Now he is having the ability to talk about my grades. When did he suddenly get guts to talk to me like that?

"I am sorry, I did not mean it like that," Zak replies, "We can talk at break?"

"Sure," I grab my notebook from my bag and start reading. I only care about my grades because my mom cares about grades. She puts education above anything else. I listen to her because she is the only parent who stayed after the divorce.