Chapter 19: Does she know I like her?

Zak

"Shall we call Dia in, so I can explain what has happened?" the doctor asks, I nod my head.

She walks to the door before calling Dia. I wonder why Dia cares about me when everyone prefers my brother over me, but Dia cared about me.

Dia walks into the room and looks at me.

She walks to the bed I am sitting on and holds my hand. She could have taken my brother to the hospital and to get checked up, but she chose me. She even is with me holding my hand. Does she know about when I defended her against the other girls saying she is a Sweet Little Unforgettable Thing?

"He seems to have suffered trauma to the chest which is causing him to cough up blood," the doctor says, she has soft eyes towards Dia.

"I want to keep him here over night or just until he stops coughing up blood," she looks at Dia. Dia looks at me. She gives me a look.

"I will give you guys' time to talk about it," with that the doctor leaves the room and closes the door.

"I should go home," I say as the doctors' footsteps get faint from her walking away.

"Shut up Harandas, you are staying here until you get better. Give me your parents number, I will inform them," she says, taking her phone out of her jeans pocket.

"My parents are away for the week," I say, Dia raises her eyebrows at me, "Business."

I look at Dia's lips and I can not lie; I have been thinking about her lips on mine for a week and sometimes when I am in the shower.

This whole attraction to Dia is new to me.

"Okay, you are staying here and lucky for you. Tomorrow, we are off of school and they gave us Friday due to tomorrow being a national lockdown for the people to strike about the food prices and fuel prices being way to high," she informs me. I completely forgot about the strike happening tomorrow. Dia reminded me of how bad the prices have been here, in South Africa.

"Okay," I do not say anything else, and we fall into silence. Dia takes my hand and I look at her, she presses her lips to my palm, and I wonder how her lips will feel against my lower half.

"I am sorry," she whispers before letting go of my hand.

"Why are you sorry?" I question.

Dia takes a seat beside me. Before she can say anything, I ask, "Can I put my hand around you?"

"Sure," she answers, and I put my hand around her. She leans her back against my shoulder, but she does not put pressure on my chest from her weight.

"That you are injured," she says, "I am sorry about that. Your injury." She waits a few breathes before she says, "I don't know why but I like your company."

"Thank you, I like your company too," I answer. Right now, the line between chemistry slash physics buddies, friends and more than friends are blurry.

"What are we doing?" The doctor walks back into the room.

"He is staying until he is better," Dia says before her phones starts to ring. She ignores the call and looks at the doctor.

"I will put him in the VIP patients' section," the doctor says but I interrupt.

"That is expensive can't we-" I start speaking before Dia says.

"I have money, now shut your mouth and let the doctor take you to your room," Dia interrupts me. I feel bad for her paying for my medical bill.