Chapter 24: Examine the Dead Rose?

Dia

"So, you and this boy, Zak?" Ace says finally breaking the awkward silence.

"Yes, what about us?" I question. I turn from looking outside the window to see Ace's face.

Ace gives an unimpressed look, "You two were making out which could have ended in sex."

"It could have, if someone had not interrupted us," I move my head to be looking forward so Ace does not see my irritated voice.

"Yeah, but you have never been this interested in a boy before. You normally just fuck around," Ace lets a sigh out, "You normally like someone for a week and then you ar-"e

"That is true but with Zak, it seems different and I do not know how to explain it," I answer, Ace nods before turning to look outside the window.

"I am just saying be careful. Anyone these days will be looking for a weak spot for you. You have been invincible since you were twelve. Killing people since you were ten and this boy could be a weakness," Ace says as we arrive at my apartment.

"Ace, thanks for looking out for me but I am sure Zak, is no spy. His family's business is practically printed on magazines. Zak and his brother have a full fan club of people fanning over them," I say, unbuckling my seat, "Spy's are trained to not be so open about their lives," I open the car door, "He is too open to be a spy."

"And to handsy to be one," I hear Ace say as I jump off the car. I close the door and make my way to my apartment.

~

I walk into my apartment with an icky feeling. Something does not feel right. Everything seems to be looking normal, I keep walking into the apartment. It is oddly quiet for a Thursday afternoon, normally Magen has her boy toys over or at least a boy over. I wonder if she is running late. I take my phone out to see if there is any new messages but I have none besides for my mom reminding me about family dinner.

Something in my gut, says something is not right.

Maybe I am just being paranoid.

I put my keys on the kitchen counter, but something catches my eye.

There is a note with a black rose in the middle of the kitchen counter. Just neatly placed in the middle like of the kitchen counter. I pick up the note to find it black, I look around the apartment but I do not move my feet. Just looking. I take a picture of the rose and send to Ace.

The blank note freaks me out more because for someone to place the note and rose they have to break into my apartment, which means they are stalking me. They could know Zak is my weakness, distraction. Since Zak has entered my life as my chemistry partner, he has been distracting me. Maybe Ace is right, maybe Zak is a spy.

The person who left the rose, must have known I had been gone for the afternoon. My phone has location turned off, the only way to see where I am is to hack into the cell towers to see where I am and even with that, the person had to send me a message or someone inside the gang- which I trust- is spying on me.

Normally when we send dead roses, it is because we are going to kill the person. I look at my phone, no text from anyone since yesterday besides for my mom and my mother would not rat her own child out, I know for a fact.

Was the mole actually Asher? Could Asher be working with someone else in the gang, another mole?

"Hello, darling," I know the voice, ooh a little too well. I turn around in shock just for them to hit me in the face. Making everything turn dark.