Our Little Boy - 3

I woke up at around 4am to the sound of JJ's cries, my phone ringing and the tv blaring. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, switching off the tv immediately. I ignored my phone and stood up from the sofa and went over to JJ's basket. But he wasnt in there. The panic that surged through me was unbelievable. Thn I remembered that Rocky was here. I gasped, horrified at the thought that he might of hurt my baby.

I rushed to the kitchen, where the crying was coming from, preparing myself to defend my baby from whatever Rocky was doing. I burst in through the door, startling Rocky as he looked back over his shoulder. "Whats going on? Why's JJ crying? What did you do?" I said all in one go, trying to suppress my anger and fear. I walked over quickly and spun him around to try and save JJ - somehow.

But Rocky was only cradling him and trying to feed him but JJ didnt look too happy as he bawled his head off. "Sorry, Rain, I know you must have been worried but he woke up and started crying and I didnt wanna wake you up, so I took matters into my own hands." Rocky said handing JJ and the bottle over. I got a little distracted because Rocky was only wearing a tank top and basketball shorts now. Whoo.

I softened then. "Oh, Rocky. You're such a sweet guy but you should have just woke me up!" I said nudging him playfully as he yawned. "Here, go upstairs to my bedroom. I'll take take the couch." I said sleepily sitting down at the table as JJ settled down a little as soon as he realised he was in my arms. "No, I'll take the couch."

With that, he gave me an awkward hug and ruffled JJ's hair. But I suddenly grabbed him. "Wait, Rocky, come here. Feel his forehead. Is it me or is he brurning up?" I asked, pressing the back of my hand on JJ's forehead. Rocky did the same. "Yeah, I think hes got a fever."

I immediately held JJ closer as he started his whimpering again. "What do I do? What do I do?" I asked frantically. Rocky tutted and took JJ from me. "You know, Ive only known you a while but you seem like such a worry-guts." He said.

With that he took JJ upstairs and showed me exactly what to do. Checking his temperature, making sure he didnt have too much or too little blankets and clothes and the right amount of medicine to give him. I watched as Rocky did up the last of JJ's yellow striped sleeping suit, pushed his matching yellow dummy gently in his mouth and then picked him up and walked around with him, rubbing his lower back in a specially routined way. Even though JJ was still crying, it was much softer than before.

I sat on my bed, impressed. "Are you sure you dont have a whole army of kids away somewhere. You look like such a pro." I said. Rocky gave a little laugh. "No, my mom's a nurse. Ive seen her do this to babies so many times." he shrugged. "Well, can she teach me? I'm only new at this whole Mommy thing."

I heard how JJ's cries got softer and softer until it was just cute little snuffling sounds and then silence. "Oh my gosh. You have to teach me that back rubbing technique." I said admiringly. Rocky never looked like the type to father anyone but seeing him hold my son like that really made you think twice. And he looked hot doing so.

He bent over the wooden cot and gently place JJ in and then covered him with a light blanket. I came over and hugged him. "Thankyou. I don't know how I could have gotten through tonight without you, Rocky." I whispered. "It's okay, Rain." he whispered back. "Better get down to my couch then." he laughed.

"Hey, what are you doing tomorrow?" I asked him, propping up my pillow. He looked down and played with his bracelet. "I dunno." he mumbled. "Well, in that case, you wanna hang out?" I asked him. He looked up immediately. "Sure! What should we do?"

"Uhm, I've got to drop JJ off at daycare at around 8.30am then I'm at work by 9.45 and i don't get off till around 5pm. So how about a dinner out somewhere?" I said. Rocky smiled."That'd be great!" he said. Then I looked at JJ sleeping calmly. "Yeah, but we may just have to add an extra person in the mix. Would you mind?" I said apologetically. "Wouldn't have it any other way, Rain."