Our Little Boy - 9

"Ray! JJ!"

"Aunt Dani! Uncle Evan!" JJ squealed running and hugging both their legs. I caught up, breathless. "Hey, you two." I said hugging them. I peered in the bundle of pink blankets in Dani's arms. A little face with the greenest eyes peered back "Hello, gorgeous." I cooed, taking her from Dani's arms. 

"Baby Misty." I whispered, I remembered how I'd held JJ like this once but Misty was lucky because her dad was there. JJ pulled at my jacket, "Lemme see baby Missy." he clamoured. Evan laughed and picked up JJ so he could look at the baby.

"She looks like you, Uncle Evan!" he said, tugging at Evan's short black hair. "Yes, she does." he replied as we walked back towards their car. "What brings you here, Ray? You never even told me." Dani said, huddling into her coat. I glanced at Evan. I didn't wanna talk about it in front of him case he found me weird.

"What?" she whispered. "At home." I replied softly.

I was disappointed when Evan drove us to his house instead of Hunter's. But I didnt say anything. We pulled up to his big house that was just outside this huge forest and infront of this absolutely huge house that looked like it had over 50 rooms. "What would you wanna do with a house like that?" I asked shaking my head.

Evan and Dani exchanged glances. 

I shook it off and helped JJ down. He sniffed the air "It smells like dogs." he stated. Evan looked like he wanted to burst out laughing as he brought Misty inside. But Dani looked genuinely worried. "Lets go get you guys cleaned up. Then we'll go visit...my parent's house."

I got changed into a pair of skinny beige jeans, a nice white shirt and some white ballet flats.. Then I changed JJ into a black short dungarees with a blue shirt inside and his blue Jordans. "Where are going, mommy?" He asked as I done up his laces, his beautiful honeycomb eyes boring into mine. 

"We're gonna go see some...old friends." I said and brushed out his afro again so it was nice and fluffy then I picked him up and brought him downstairs. Evan and Dani were talking softly but as soon as we walked in, Evan cleared his throat. "Hey, Rain, uhm, I'm gonna bring you and JJ over, Dani wants to stay here and cook for tonight." he said, running his hand through his hair.

I shrugged "Okay." Dani came over and hugged me tight. "I love you and dont do anything crazy over there." she warned. "Crazy when have you know me to do anything crazy?" I scoffed. Dani looked at JJ meaningfully. "Shut up!" I laughed and followed Evan out.

We pulled up to the familiar house. I felt a lump rise to my throat. "Uhm, Evan? Would you mind if I took a walk? I just need to clear my head." I said, feeling dizzy. "Sure, I'll wait here with JJ. Take your time."

I walked through the woods that Hunter used to take me down but never took me very far because it was dangerous. I kept walking, admiring the green leaves that seeped through and the chirping birds and for the first time since I left this place, I felt peaceful.

 I kept walking, until I heard some voices so I quickly hid in the shadows of the trees. Two familiar people walked by. I remembered them as a couple - family fiends of Hunter's. Devon and Stella. I couldn't believe they were still together after all this time.

"I don't know what the hell happened to  Hunter." Devon said as they walked, hand in hand. "I know right! Rain disappears then he throws a hissy fit and no-on sees him for almost a year and he comes back as Alpha but his attitude totally changed." "Yup. He's a total jerk to like everyone." "You think it's cos Rain left? She was his mate after all..."
"Totally. Plus all he does is hang out in that abandoned shed down there with his Beta Micael and Xavier." Devon said jerking his thumb back down the path they'd just come from. After that I couldn't hear them anymore.