Our Little Boy - 8

"Rocky! You promised that this wouldn't happen ever again!" I yelled at him. "Honey, I'm sorry! How was I supposed to know they were stupid enough to try it again?" he replied. "What do they even want from my baby?" I yelled again, furiously. "I-I don't know!" he said tugging on his earlobe...something he always did when he lied.

"Tell me, Rocky!"

"Rain, I told you. I don't know!"
"Liar! I made such a big mistake in taking you back after the first time!" I said. It'd been a month since Rocky's crazy family had tried to get a hold of JJ - reasons still unknown. I did break up with Rocky but after a week of him begging, I took him back after he promised he'd spoken to his parents. Urgh.

"No, baby, come on! Lets not be too hasty now!" "No, that's it. I cant do this anymore, Rocky. It''s over." I sighed. "Rain!" he said desperately. "I'm sorry but I cant keep living in fear, on top  of everything else in my life."

Rocky's face dropped. "No, please, Rain, no." he whispered. "I'm sorry. But your family is dysfunctional and weird. They're trying to get hold of my baby and I dont know why!"

Rocky shook his head, looking hurt. "This is about Hunter, isn't it?" he said softly. "What? No! This is about your family making me live in fear for my JJ's safety." I said firmly, crossing my arms. "You just want JJ to not go past his first birthday knowing me, right? You don't want him to call me 'daddy', do you?"

I looked back at JJ sleeping peacefully in his car-seat, cuddling with his favourite teddy, an old one that Hunter had bought me on our first anniversary and we named him Nanoo - dont ask.

"That's because you're not his dad! Hunter is! He should have been the one watching JJ grow up!" I said definitely, even though I kinda regretted it. Rocky's face turned sour "You don't know the first thing about your baby! You dont know what he is and what he's doing to us!"

I frowned at him "Excuse me? 'What' he is? and whose 'us'?" I asked. I know this Us wasn't me and him because we were long gone. But to call my baby a 'what' that's just crazy. Rocky immediately looked like he regretted it.

"There's a lot of people after your baby, Rain!" he burst out. This guy was scaring me now. I tiled my head in confusion. "You cant raise him on your own, Rain." he sighed, sticking his hands in his pockets and shrugging. That got me angry then. I don't know who the hell he thought he was to tell me I couldn't raise my on baby. "Yes I can! I bloody well can and I will! Don't ever have any contact with me or my baby. Ever. Goodbye." I screamed in his face. 

I turned on my heel and grabbed my bag and JJ's carseat and then stormed out of Rocky's house to my car. Rocky stood at the porch watching me. "Fine! Go! But don't say I didn't warn you!" he yelled. 
I totally ignored him and strapped JJ in then got behind the wheel and pulled away from his driveway furiously.

**

"Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday, dear JJ, Happy Birthday to you!" Me and Dani sang in unison as Dani dimmed the kitchen lights and brought over this beautiful blue Cookie Monster cake which - of course- was decorated with cookies and a single candle was lit. 

JJ squealed in delight as he sat in his highchair clapping his hands. "Cookie!" he said happily. I hugged him proudly. "Yes! Well done, clever boy!" I said, ruffling his light curls that had grown even fuller than before as I decided to grow it out in an afro. JJ looked like the perfect mix of both me and Hunter. His eyes still shone a beautiful honeycomb colour, his nose matched mine and his lips mirrored Hunter's.

Dani placed the cake down on his highchair table and JJ immediately made a mad grab at the flame. "No, no, sweetie! That's fire, It'll hurt you." I said grabbing his wrist. He looked up at me with his big eyes "Fiya." he repeated. "Wow, he's gonna be a little genius!" Dani said happily.