Our Little Boy - 17

The figures all quickly disappeared.

I couldn't sleep for the rest of that night. I don't know who it was that I just saw because it couldn't have been Hunter.

But then who has the same eye colour as him? Dani. But Dani doesn't have masculine features and besides her eyes were a slightly darker shade than Hunter's.

The only person I knew with the exact same colour was JJ. And that person definitely was not JJ.

"Morning, princess. How'd you sleep?" Rocky's voice filled the room as he came down the stairs. I looked up at him and smiled, trying hard to not snap an angry sarcastic comment at him.

I knew that whoever those people were yesterday, they were here to help me, it was just a matter of when. In the meanwhile I had to be nice to Rocky so he'd be relaxed around me.

I knew he wasn't an idiot so I just had to play it cool. "It was okay." I replied hoping out of the bed. He looked surprised. 'Oh, good." He said obviously taken aback.

"Can I have some breakfast?" I asked stretching causally. Rocky definitely relaxed and then he came over and cupped my cheek in his hands. "I knew you'd come around." He whispered.

I forced myself to smile and wondered what I ever saw in this guy. I remembered that day when we'd met at the park and he saves JJ from hurting himself and for all that time I dated him, I never saw this rough, air-headed, conceited jerk persona.

He took me back upstairs as the rest of the people were getting up. None of them were as friendly and warm as Hunter's people.

Not one of them even gave me a second glance but they did nod and acknowledge Rocky. Huh.

All of a sudden that Colin guy from yesterday stomped down the main staircase, shaking his right hand and looking furious. He glared at me.

"What kind of animal did you raise?" He yelled at me. "Ain't that the truth." Rocky mumbled, rotating his ankle where JJ had bit him.

I almost laughed. I was glad JJ's canines finally came to good use. "What did he do?" I asked trying hard to keep a serious face.

"The little bugger bit me!" Colin shouted showing me the space between his thumb and forefinger where it was bright red and obvious teeth marks were engraved.

I tutted and acted as like a good mommy but deep down I couldn't have been happier.

I went upstairs and found JJ huddled on the bed crying. He looked up at me with tears. "I'm sorry mommy. You said not to bite anyone." He said quietly.

"Why did you do it?" I asked even though I couldn't care less. "He wanted to pick me up."

"Oh, JJ." I said coming over and putting him on my lap and wiping his tears away away. I looked up at Rocky and a furious Colin who was nursing his sore hand.

"Can we just have some food, Rocky?" I asked. "Sure." He replied.

Colin's face dropped then. "You're letting him get away with it?" He asked, appalled.

Rocky rolled his eyes. "Put your big girl panties on, dude."

The rest of the day dragged as I kept looking at each door or window, wondering in the figures from last night would burst in and save me. But nothing happened.

"What's up? You've been tense all day." Rocky remarked as we sat down for dinner. I ate another forkful of pasta and just shrugged.

"Nothing." I said though I still glanced at the door. Rocky narrowed his eyes and looked back at the door too.