Chapter Two - Friends and Favours (New Chapter 2022)

Barnyards was the largest building in Raven's Valley, it sat in prime position nestled between the town hall and retirement row. Over 30,000 square feet crammed with farming supplies, homeware, canning goods and high-tech energy-saving electricals. Only Caleb wasn't there to browse at high ticket items, he had a job to do, two jobs in fact.

He pushed the cart past the super chill refrigerators and freezers and into the realm of fencing supplies. He toyed with his options for a moment, trying to work out the best deal within his meagre budget. Eventually, he decided the medium roll of tensile would do to patch up the remaining line between the steers and his hay crop. He threw two bulk packs of fasteners on the top and continued down the aisle.

A large community board sat beside the double doors to the garden zone. Caleb paused at it, his eyes scanning over the adverts. Kittens, boy's clothes, a leather recliner, and an antique dining table took up most of the space. The only equipment on offer was an ancient-looking horse-drawn haybine and a 12ft harrow.

"Looking for anything, in particular, today sir?" said a young woman in a bottle green Barnyards shirt.

Caleb jumped. He nudged the cart into a display of chain link fence that wobbled precariously. "What the hell June, are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

"Sorry, I couldn't help myself, what are you looking for anyways?"

"A miracle at this point."

June turned to the notice board and ran her finger over the adverts, lifting flyers to get a good view of what was hidden underneath. "I'm afraid there is none listed here, what sort of miracle were you hoping for?"

"Slurry spreader, large or small..."

"You need Skylar Tableau; she is the largest shit spreader I know."

Caleb shook his head and walked away.

"Wow, you are in a grump today."

"Sorry June I don't have time to play, I have a field that needs fencing and even more importantly grass that needs feeding." Caleb turned down the aisle with the grass mixes. "If I can get the farm turning a profit there is a chance, I'll get an internship."

June rolled her eyes and followed him down the rows of premixed seeds. "I know you don't want to hear this, but you need to rethink your plan." She caught the eye of one of the deputy managers and turned to the shelf. "It would be advised to get one of our one-tonne bags if you are wanting to re-seed an entire sward, we have a fantastic offer on at the moment for the dairyman's mix."

Caleb looked confused.

"Sorry, Glen has it in for me since he got promoted." She whispered as she handed him a pamphlet for their elite grass range.

"Interesting mixes," he commented and turned the glossy paper to see the back, "might work in the valley, but up the hills, with our poor soil, I'll be lucky for a 50% germination."

"He's gone." June took the leaflet and stuffed it back into the holder. "You must realise by now that the chances of being whisked off on an internship are low, most are selected before they finish school."

"Harry..."

She shook her head, "He's not on the programme. Some socialite took a liking to him and now he's living in one of their annexes."

"Do you have any straight ryegrass? That's what I have been ordered to get."

"So, you will continue your father's struggle, not learn from his mistakes?" She struggled to contain her anger.

"But the pasture mix is cheaper, has a better blend, and is suited to poorer soils." Caleb read and toyed with the large information placard, making it bounce.