Chapter Seven - Testing Times (NEW 2023)

The sun cast an eerie orange glow as it dipped below the horizon. Its warm glow beamed through the large expanse of glass framing the dining room. The aroma of roast chicken, vegetables and freshly baked bread filled the room and wafted throughout the house. Caleb's mouth watered. He put down the book he had borrowed on the desk and hurried down the stairs.

"I was just about to call you," Oliva looked up from putting the last finishing touches to dinner.

Caleb's brain malfunctioned; the scene had triggered thoughts surrounding the last supper.

"Everything okay?" she gave him a look of concern.

He nodded and finally managed to get out a "Thank you."

She smiled and patted him lightly on the back. "Why don't you get settled while I call the others."

It didn't take long for them to arrive, they piled into their seats and hastily started to load their plates. There was a cacophony of noise as they bickered over the best cuts and choice of sides, Caleb sat dumbstruck, waiting for the chaos to subside before piling his plate with slices of chicken and herb-coated veggies. The noise dulled to murmurs of contentment as the plates emptied.

"Thank you," Caleb said to his aunt. He leaned back in the chair to accommodate the vast amount of food he had consumed. A wave of tiredness rolls over him.

Robyn picked up his plate and slid it on top of Olivia's empty plate. He kisses her on the forehead and looks lovingly into her eyes. She cups his hand as he runs the back of a finger across her cheek.

As he reaches the doorway, he snaps his attention to Caleb. The softness is gone from his face. "You need to come to my office in about thirty minutes."

Caleb's breath caught in his throat, and his stomach plummeted to his feet. He reached for a napkin to wipe the sweat from his palms but batted the half-glass of water towards Dale. The vessel tumbled and rolled, sloshing its contents across the white tablecloth and into Dale's lap. In a mad panic, Caleb stood up, jolted the table and sent all the glasses rolling.

Dale jumped back from the table cussing. He took a step towards Caleb before remembering that his father still stood in the doorway.

Looking fed up Robyn looked beyond Caleb, through the window to the gardens beyond. "You'll be taking the first test this evening, don't be late." With that, he turned and disappeared into the shadow of the hallway.

Caleb looked around, but neither Dale nor Jazz would make eye contact with him. His insides squirmed with nervous energy as he turned to Olivia. She stacked the plates neatly and righted the toppled glasses. Her hand dabbed at the large red wine puddle staining the linen tablecloth.

Jazz and Dale excused themselves, leaving him alone with Olivia. Adrenalin froze him in place, he could not force any of his limbs to move and escape. Time ticked by loudly as he tried to find a suitable apology for the mess he had made.

"It's okay, Caleb, you can go if you want to. I've got this." She picked up the plates and headed towards the kitchen.

He robotically took a step towards the door. His brain spiralled through all the possible horrific tests that could await him. He steadied himself on the doorframe. The floorboards creaked underfoot as he shuffled his way to the lounge.

He barely sunk into the plush leather as headlights shone through the windows. Gravel crunched under the tyres as a car pulled up to the front of the house. Caleb pulled himself closer to the window to try and peek at the visitor.

Olivia closed the door to the lounge as she hurried to the front door. The thick wooden door muffled their greeting, leaving Caleb to keep guessing who else would be administering his test.