Chapter 30 - The show

"The stables are reserved for competing horses only, I'm sorry but if we allowed one person to do it then everyone would be bringing their young horses along and we wouldn't have enough space for actual competitors," The woman behind the check-in desk gave Jake a sympathetic look, news of the fire had reached the show venue with some of the other competitors. She was about to suggest he try some of the local stables to see if they would help when he came up with a radical suggestion.

"Do you have any spaces available in any classes?" Jake was grasping at straws, he had only managed to get on Sunny's back twice and both times had been a bit of a disaster.

It took a few minutes of typing to get an answer, "There are two spots in the young horse class on Sunday, $60 and you can choose from the list of tests. One reserve spot at the intro level tomorrow, $50 but since there is no guarantee of starting I can't offer you a stall. The only other class with spaces is Intermediate A."

"I think that's a little bit above his level," Jake chuckled, "I guess my only real option here is the young horse class," Jake cracked open his wallet and handed over enough money to cover his cost of entry and the stabling fee.

"I can't believe you just did that," Maddy was shaking her head in disbelief.

"It's okay Maddy, just know that you inherit the ranch if anything happens to me." Jake patted her on the back.

"Fantastic, just what I need, a great big pile of burned-out timbers. I'll get really far with that, won't I ?" she rolled her eyes, "And there I was looking forward to having a nap on the drive home."

"I see how you are, I risk my life and you're worried about your beauty sleep." Jake's smile faded as a flashy truck pulled into the small parking lot beside the office. "Great," he mumbled under his breath.

"Let's just get out of here before they have a chance to..."

But Jenny, Jake's ex-wife, came bounding towards them with a smug grin on her face. "We called in to see if you were alright, but I guess you must have cleared out early, glad to see you weren't hurt Jake."

"Yeah we were on the road when we found out, we doubled back but they said there was nothing to be done, everything that was left in the house is gone." Jake tried to remain civil, there were too many people around for him to make a scene. The last thing he wanted was for people outside their tiny town to start hating him too.

"What a shame, good luck with the show, you could do with some good news."

"I didn't think Dressage was your thing?" Maddy interjected as Jenny breezed past.

"I'm not competing, won't be for a few months," she pulled her jacket open to reveal a small baby bump, "I'm here to help your mom."

Maddy tucked her arm under Jake's and pulled him away as he seemed unable to move under his own power. She frog-marched him to the truck and bundled him inside. Only once she was back in the driving seat and had pulled a safe distance away did she let her true feelings be known.

"It was bound to happen," Jake reasoned, "she always wanted a baby, but I couldn't stomach bringing an innocent life into such a toxic relationship."

Maddy tucked the truck into a slot between two others, hoping it would be enough to stop her grandmother from parking close enough to cause further problems.

Both horses seemed eager to get out of the trailer, Sunny's exuberant leap taking Jake by surprise and almost sending him sprawling into the gravel. Moonie jogged on the spot, his nostrils blowing with excitement.

"I'm going to take Moon for a walk around before he makes a fool of himself. Can you get the stables ready?" Maddy tied Moonie to the trailer, much to his disappointment, he swayed from side to side as he struggled against the rope to try and look around at all the sights.

Maddy was patient as she tacked him up, taking the time to breathe and let go of all the negative thoughts she had been having towards her estranged family. She had forgotten how powerful Jake's leg-ups were, she swore loudly as she almost flew straight over Moonie's back. Her cheeks reddened as people turned to look at her.

Soon she was lost in the rhythm of the ride, Moonie had relaxed enough he was trying to steal a mouthful of leaves from every bush on the trail. As she reached the top of the route she noticed a familiar paint pony. She nudged Moonie's sides and trotted towards them.

"Katie?" Maddy said, a little out of breath.

"Maddy?" Her friend replied, "I had no idea you were competing here, long time no see."

"Yeah, it hasn't it, I've been keeping an eye out and I saw that you've been getting some epic scores this season." Maddy pulled alongside the paint horse, "I wish I was having the same sort of luck, but I'd be glad to get anything over 62% and qualify."

"It's always hard when you go up a level, the judges always seem to be significantly harsher, or perhaps entitled to be a little more scathing in their comments. I'm not hopeful for tomorrow, Jacqueline Hunt is head judge and in our last test she said I would do better if my pony looked less like a cow. I mean come on, how is that constructive, I can work on my one-time changes but I can't change her colour."

"I kinda like the whole patchwork aesthetic she's got going on," Maddy laughed. It felt good, like the ominous dark cloud looming above her head was finally starting to evaporate enough to let a little sunlight penetrate through.

The pair laughed and giggled the whole way back to the stables, catching up on the shows they didn't have in common and their plans for the future. Katie pointed towards the left-hand block of stables, "That's where I am. If I don't see you sooner, I hope you make it to regionals, it would be nice to compete against someone who isn't constantly hoping my 'cow-pony' would deposit me over the fence."

"Why do people have to be so...ugly?"

Katie shrugged her shoulders, "Raised by wolves I guess."

Maddy's blood ran cold. She ignored the rules and pushed Moonie to trot back to their trailer. Sunny wasn't tied up outside, so she guessed they must have gone down to the stables already. Feeling completely alone and slightly panicked she slipped down off of Moonie's back. As she drew closer to the trailer she could hear voices.

"I would if I could Jake, I mean I'm getting the hang of it I think, but if I don't actually know how to do whatever it is you are asking me to do then it's impossible. No different to me demanding you become a triple gold medal-winning sprinter overnight, it takes training."

"I get that, Caleb, I'm not asking for you to do any of the fancy stuff. It's just a walk, trot and canter pattern, all circles and straight lines. I'm not expecting miracles, I just want to get around without looking like a complete tit." Jake pleaded.

"Fine, just this once, but that surprise had better be worth it."

"It will Caleb," Jake said, but doubt crept upon him, was it really what he thought it was?