Chapter 15 -Mistakes

Maddy didn't turn up the next morning. Jake waited until he was certain she wasn't going to show before tending to the horses. "Look at the state of you," he said as he caught Moonie. The horse pushed his head against Jake's shoulder, smearing a damp patch of mud into his shirt. Jake shook his head, his mind too preoccupied to complain about something so irrelevant as a dirty shirt, there were enough of those on his bedroom floor.

Moonie started pulling faces as the cold water cascaded down his neck, the odd dribble tracking its way down his face and tickling his nose. He danced about for a second, until he was commanded to stop.

Jake scraped the worst of the water off and threw Moonie's breakfast bowl on the ground. He grabbed Dezi's and posted it through the fence. With a halter in hand, he let himself into Sunny's paddock.

He tied the horse up beside Moonie and hosed off the worst of the sticky mud from his legs and hooves. Grabbing a brush he set to work, stripping the dust and dirt from Sunny's coat. Guilt was eating him from the inside, he tried desperately to let it go but it wouldn't settle.

He could hear Moonie pushing the empty bucket across the concrete. Feeling a little lost, Jake led him to Sunny's paddock, knowing that Dezi would take at least another twenty minutes to slurp up her breakfast.

Sunny looked expectantly into the abandoned bucket, his agile tongue and lips trying to find the slightest trace of food.

"Sorry boy, you've got to do some work first." Jake exchanged the lead rope for a lunge line.

Sunny's eye's didn't adjust to the dark quick enough, his nostrils quivered with uncertainty. He hesitated for a moment but followed the light pull of the halter on his chin. His hooves echoed through the cavernous barn, silenced only when his feet found the soft surface of the arena.

Jake encouraged the horse to stretch and release any tension from his muscles before bringing him back to the centre of the circle. Seeing the horse comfortable in close proximity of the saddle he took the chance to lay it on the horse's back a second time.

Sunny's muscles twitched involuntarily, but he didn't move. He could feel it shifting on his back as the girth was drawn down and then slowly cinched around his ribs. The constriction triggered a brief panic, but he didn't allow his equine brain to react.

Jake watched the horse walk out calmly, half expecting him to explode as the stirrups nudged him in the side. Confident Sunny was ready, he clicked his tongue and asked the horse to trot.

Sunny gave a little hop in the air, unhappy that the metal stirrup had smacked him in the elbow, but quickly quietened down. He settled into a bouncy pace, showing off his naturally elevated trot stride.

It mesmerised Jake, he hadn't seen that natural quality for a long time. He needed to ride it. To feel it. Without thinking through the consequences he brought the horse back to the centre and started the process of climbing on board.

Sunny splayed his legs to cope with the additional load. It altered his balance and he was scared he would topple over. He pawed the ground and took a defiant step sideways.

Jake realised his mistake. He gave Sunny a reassuring stroke and walked him towards the mounting block. Taking his time he walked the horse down both sides, letting the horse investigate it with his nose, and not proceeding until he lost interest.

The mounting block made it easier on them both, too easy. Jake realised he had gone too fast when he asked for one step forward and was given three sideways. Having not ridden properly for a while it took him by surprise. He managed to stay on, just.

Sunny's eyes rolled, his equine brain pushed too far. The weight felt alien on his back and his balance had been compromised. Blood rushed through his body, positively charged with adrenalin.