1

"Come on Jeongin! Let's go!"

We run down the hill and through the park. Hiding behind the tree in the center of the park we watch as the press run past.

"Jisooo... Jiiisssooooo.... LEE JISOO!"

I jumped out of my chair and stood in the middle of my class, my uniform rumpled at the waist, and my skirt balled in my hands. I look down at the ground letting my hair fall into my face, blushing as I hadn't quite been paying attention to the lesson... I was daydreaming... again.

"Lee Jisoo, solve the problem on the board, and I will cut you slack for today. If you answer it wrong or refuse to solve it, you will be on cleaning duty for a week and you will come in early tomorrow morning to do a tutoring session with me."

I walk up to the front of the room and grab the chalk in the holder, then begin to solve the problem. My brain does this thing where I know how to solve it, I just kind of blank in the middle of working and I almost give up. That is until I hear whispers behind me and hear my friend's voice saying repeatedly the number 6. 6 isn't what I'm looking for, he's just reminding me of chapter 6 of my favorite book. It snaps me out of my panic and I answer the question with ease.

"Ms. Lee you are correct, you may return to your seat. Mr. Yang, come to the front of the room please."

Oh no, he got caught. That's my best friend, Yang Jinwoo, he is basically a mini genius and he helps me keep calm when I freeze up. He is the only person I've ever been able to really talk to... Ever since my accident.

When I was younger I was hit by a car. They say the driver was under some influence, but he seemed to have been aiming right for me, waiting for me to walk in the street. They never found the man. Yang Jinwoo was there when I got run over though. He saved my life, I wouldn't be here if he hadn't called for help when he did. I never spoke to anyone after that, everyone thinks I'm mute. The only time people hear my voice is when I'm singing in my room with the door shut or talking to Jinwoo.

"Mr. Yang, please do explain the relation to what you were saying to Ms. Lee."

"Chapter 6 of her favorite book explains a theory that the mention of something familiar can snap someone out a state of fear. It was a simple way to help her calm any nerves she had. I wasn't helping her cheat, I was just calming her down."

The teacher nods. She never did like us, we were always showing off how good of a team we were but because we did what worked and did our work well.

"You may return to your seat, Mr. Yang."

Did she let us off? She either knows something or she trusts what we are doing with this.

"Ms. Lee and Mr. Yang, please come talk to me in the office after class."

Dang, it.

I nod. I still don't talk to anyone other than Jinwoo. He says yes ma'am to her but she looks at me.

"I didn't hear you say 'yes ma'am' Ms. Lee."

"Mrs. Park, she doesn't ta-"

"Hush! I want to hear her say it!"

I break down crying. It's silent. I never use my voice, it won't happen and everyone in my class knows it. Jinwoo is the only person in our class who's ever heard my voice, at home my family only hears me talk when I am with Jinwoo, and any time they hear my voice is when I sing... again, alone in my bedroom with the door closed.

"Ms. Lee, I would like to hear your voice. From what your mother says, you have a beautiful voice. Although that is what she says about you singing, she also says that you are an amazing dancer. I had a call with her yesterday, a nice lady but she challenged me. She said that you would never talk. Perhaps if I brought up something personal? Favorite idol?"