Chapter-35 The wrath of Xerith

The night guards at Zuersha close their eyes as the strong chilly winds blow causing the shiver in their bodies, the fire blows off making the place completely dark. They stand up and curse under their breath, getting ready to make the fire again, it was so cold today and the wind was abusing them throughout the evening, the night watch at the borders was the worst duty at present to stand and be on watch while the icy dust troubles their sight. A loud shriek catches their attention, the guards, who were sitting around the fire all look in the direction of the sound, alert and holding onto their spears and daggers. The wind made it difficult to understand what was going on they just use their instinct and tries to focus on the sound, a woman enter their sight running towards them, her eyes were wide and bulging as she stops in front of them, panting and disheveled. They recognize her and sigh in relief, she was the lady whose man died in the hands of the army since then she is not been the same.

 “It is coming…it is coming,” She says in fear, her chest heaving with the running, “We are going to die” She starts laughing and runs away from there towards the houses knocking on every door and repeating the same words waking up the people inside.

Few guards run after her catching her and holding her up to tie her down, she screams and tries to bite them off causing a ruckus. One of the guards watching it clicks his tongue “She is doing it again” other around him all nod.

“It has been long since she acted like this” The other one says watching her go out of sight. None of the villagers open their doors used to her episodes and remain calm as it is. It takes quite an effort but the guards succeed to take her back to her house tying her to the bed, she keeps screaming and saying the same words until is made to sleep and it all quiets down. 

The guard whistles loudly using grass and wood-made whistle signaling others in the outer area that things are calm now. The rest take a sigh tired of the troubles the weather was causing them and focuses on putting on the fire, the air was chilling and the fire was the only source to help them give some relief. 

The guards in the outer area were on alert and looking out for any disturbances. They had layers of clothes of animal skin worn over them to sustain on the white land that Zuersha becomes in winter, these guards were trained well standing straight and keen eyes looking out in every direction to protect their tribe nothing seems to demoralize them. Their eyes move as they notice the wild animals approach near the fences, the wolves shake their tails moving around anxiously, and growl. The number increases and they start howling causing an eerie feeling to settle in the tribe men on night watch, they look up at the birds that were flying away with a loud shriek, covering the whole sky. 

The ancestors that were awakened before because of the loud noises come out and stare at the sky, it was ominous for birds to leave their home at night in such weather conditions. They show their fear and start whispering among themselves, watching as more wolves surround the fences all howling loudly and scratching on the fences. It causes a ghostly scene that could make the strongest lose their cool as the howling increases more villagers come out to witness all this, being woken up by the mad woman who lost her man and having episodes once in a while, they never took her seriously but just after her warning, these unnatural things made them a bit afraid. 

The superstitious villagers start gathering and looking at the animals outside the large wooden fences, the place was dark; the wind was so strong that nothing could be lit up, the moon gave some light from time to time but was now covered in clouds and the birds were abandoning their homes and going away. They become restless and start chanting mantras to calm their nerves, looking at the sky as the birds shriek their prayers become louder than ever. 

They turn up to the ancestors for answers, the matriarch comes out and sees the commotion, she sees the concerned face of the ancestors and tells the guard to report what they can see. The villagers all wait holding their breath, the howling was loud and making them anxious but it quickly dies down, the wolves start running away, they act frightened and go out of sight, and silence prevails with only the sound of wind penetrating their ears.