False Truth

Io knows that nothing will change even if he starts crying.

He knows that tears cannot wash such a darkness away.

He tells his hopeless mind to think of hope.

He tries to salvage whatever that is left of his dream.

He tries to recall its beauty and its perfection—

The image of The Floating Island in his dreams.

But just like dreams, they slipped out of his grasp and into the void.

For he could no longer remember his dream.

But then again—

That was always the case.

In which when Io wakes up, he fails to remember

Why there is a smile

On his face.

_________________________

Io found his feet rooted, head lowered; and realized that it was a sort of unconscious instinct. It reminded him of how he learnt to breathe. Then Io realized that he never did learn.

He wondered how he knew not to look at the predators as they passed the prey in strong, firm strides that slowed ever so subtly as they leered at the weak.

And for a moment—Io found himself thanking heavens for separation and segregation.

He stole a glance at Pipa, saw the glistening of her cheeks; and looked away.

The boy didn't know what to say.

'Don't cry'?

He couldn't even find his own voice.

The vice-like grip around his throat loosened as their footsteps faded, and all of a sudden, the rush of air into the small lungs of the boy felt as if it was the first breath he had taken in years.

Io wasn't the only one. Pipa collapsed, choking on the floor—

The boy behind her clutched at his chest, a painful grimace on his face.

Their counsellor, Mr. Callaghan, rushed to their aid—patting their backs and whispering words of encouragement with an occasional smile.

"It's okay...everything's going to be fine," Everyone could tell that his smile was indeed, very forced.

Despite so, and despite the deep curse that whispered thoughts of fear and uncertainty in their small hearts—the fresh prey of Flight School believed that everything was going to be alright.  

Because—

What other choice did they have?

_______________________

[Io]

"Pipa? Pipa...?"